8 Gallons fresh maple sap, what to make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandt9299

Reaction score
I just got 8 gallons of fresh maple sap, any ideas for a recipe? My friend told me I should use it within a week. I was thinking and amber ale, not too heavy on the hops. I have no experience with sap so I don't know what differences it makes, hopefully someone will chime in. Thanks

Do you have a way to make sure it is well-filtered? If I recall my sugar shack adventures correctly, pure maple sap can have some really serious microorganisms that I wouldn't want in my beer, plus little bits of bark and dirt.

It looks pretty clear, although there is a moth floating in it, I figured a good long boil would kill anything, moth excluded.

Moth beer?

My concern was more about the bacteria that tend to be in maple sap. I'm not sure if they could start a spontaneous fermentation or anything. But if it's clear, it's probably filtered anyway.

I don't think theres really much fermentable in it, I tasted it and its just like water with an ever so slight sweetness. I could use a brita water filter, although it would take forever.

I'd definitely take some, pasteurize, and try pitching some yeast in it. If for no other reason, just to try it out. Maybe some spruce to add some flavor? Or, as an adjunct for mead? What kind of aroma / flavors does it have?

I also collected sap to make a beer, but after some research it appeared that I would need a gallon of SYRUP for there to be a noticable flavor. With 8 gallons of sap, thats equivalent to less than a quart of syrup. With that amount of syrup, I'd use some of it as the priming sugar. From what I've read, I think you'll get more bang for your buck that way, but I don't know first hand. Thats what I'll probably end up doing. There is a thread somewhere on here where its disussed.

Back