American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottling this batch today. Secondary went well with a constant 69 degrees. I ended up doing the hops a little differently because the % AA was higher on all the hops I got. The final IBUs following the schedule to the T would have been ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't plug the AAs into a calculator until I was already boiling... I calculated my IBUs to be around 87! While it might be a little more bitter than I was expecting, thanks to high AAs, I can't wait to try it in a few weeks.

Bottling this batch today. Secondary went well with a constant 69 degrees. I ended up doing the hops a little differently because the % AA was higher on all the hops I got. The final IBUs following the schedule to the T would have been ridiculous. Unfortunately I didn't plug the AAs into a calculator until I was already boiling... I calculated my IBUs to be around 87! While it might be a little more bitter than I was expecting, thanks to high AAs, I can't wait to try it in a few weeks.

I see no problems here :mug:

I see no problems here :mug:

=) Thanks.

Ended up bottling tonight rather than last night. I called it quits after racking a lager into a keg...

Here are my other numbers for this brew.
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.011
ABV: 7.2%
IBU: ?? (I calculated 87 after the boil, but now I plug everything in again and get 100:confused:)
SRM: 7
Primed w/ corn sugar, dissolved in 1.75 cups of boiled water, for 2.4 vols of CO2.

As long as it tastes good, I'll be happy. Might be a little bitter and not for the faint of heart, but at least its not like my 90 min IPA that has 9.2% ABV:drunk:. So I have the IBUs of an IIPA, and the color/abv of an American. Should be interesting.... I will post a picture of the first class and let those of you interested know how it turned out. I dry hopped more than the recipe called for too. Rising hophead here...:rockin:

Happy Oktoberfest :mug:

I brewed up this recipe and last month and am half way through my keg right now. This beer is the best IPA I have brewed, close to the best beer I have brewed to date. Delicious and so perfectly balanced between malt and delicious hops.

Strong work! Now time to finish off this mug mmmm! :mug:

Hi! Noob question! I can read everywhere about the diferent hops and gravities everyone is getting. But I am a beginner with beersmith and cant figure out how to set up this beer without knowing how many liters of waterbit is intended for. What can I do to copy it without knowing that?

Jensas said:
Hi! Noob question! I can read everywhere about the diferent hops and gravities everyone is getting. But I am a beginner with beersmith and cant figure out how to set up this beer without knowing how many liters of waterbit is intended for. What can I do to copy it without knowing that?
If you follow the tutorial and set up your equipment Beersmith will calculate your water volumes. You'll need to know the boil off rate for your BK. You can determine this by boiling water for a hour.

I just didn't know what, "waterbit" was ;)

Yeah, waterbit.. sorry auto spell thing in the phone. Should be "water it"

So if I have my equipment profile set to, lets say BIAB 70l and then enter this recipie. It gets kinda low on IBU and OG since there is to much water. Or is there a nother way I am missing?
Sure It calculates it exact for when its tine to brew, but is the recipie for a 5gallon or a 10gallon batch? Dont I need to know that?

The recipe is for 5 gallons. In post #1 it says, "Batch Size (Gallons): 5". I would always assume 5 gallons unless it says otherwise. You'd enter that for your batch size.

The recipe is for 5 gallons. In post #1 it says, "Batch Size (Gallons): 5". I would always assume 5 gallons unless it says otherwise. You'd enter that for your batch size.

Thank you! But I still cant find any batch size in the first post. But anyhow, thank you for the answer!

Brewed this beer yesterday. (10 gallons) Replaced 1 pound of 2-row with a pound of Special B. Sorry, I like it! Used S-04 and rehydrated prior to pitching. OG was 1.070 and less than 12 hours later my air locks are bubbling away. Going to dry hop 5 gallons of this with 2 ounces of cascade like it says and the other 5 gallons with an ounce of cascade and an ounce of citra. I'll keg half and bottle half depending on which one I prefer after dry hopping. Everything went pretty perfect. The weather was a pain, but what can you do.

Bottled 5 gallons and kegged 5 gallons today. Finished at 1.019 and dry hopped for 7 days. Both batches have different but amazing aromas. Can't wait to drink this carbed.

Mash at 154 for 60min. I had 70%eff
American Rahr (2 row) Pale: 11.50lbs
American Briess Crystal 20 1.00lbs
American Briess Light Munich 0.75lbs
American Briess Carapils 0.75lbs
American Briess Torrified Wheat 0.25lbs

Chinook (Pellet) 1oz 30min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 30min
Williamette (Pellet) 0.5oz 15min
Cascade (Pellet) 1.5oz 15min
Williamette (Pellet) 1oz 5min
Cascade (Pellet) 2oz Dry in secondary

Don't worry about the lack of a 60minute hop addition. The bitterness is spot on.

This IPA won gold in the IBU challenge at the IBU Open in Iowa earlier this year and gold at 8 Seconds of Froth a few months ago.

If you brew, let me know what you think.

I brewed this yesterday, Man did it smell Delicious!
after cooling her down, my gravity reading was 1.048!?
funny thing is i told SWMBO while i was brewing that something felt wrong....
after doing some reading, i feel that i didnt get a good crush at lhbs.
The only time i had issues with hitting my OG was when i first started brewing!
since then ive always hit my numbers...
oh well im sure itll still turn out ok... just not high on the ABV.
Will report back in a few weeks!
Thanks again for an awesome recipe!! :rockin:

Brewed this yesterday as well! It did smell so delicious, especially when you add the first hop additions! Can't wait to try the finished product in a month.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Home Brew mobile app

I just input the recipe into BeerSmith and came up with an IBU of 31.1 Is this correct?

No. You get almost that much just from the Chinook addition. I use this for a ballpark.

Fairly new brewer here. I just downloaded Beersmith and I'm playing with it for the first time. Input this recipe, and like zeek above, I only got 32.1 IBU. So if Beersmith is so great, how can it be so far off on the IBU calc? I'm a hop head and will be brewing lots of very hoppy beers. If I can't rely on Beersmith, and have to use another app to compute IBUs, then what's the point?

Fairly new brewer here. I just downloaded Beersmith and I'm playing with it for the first time. Input this recipe, and like zeek above, I only got 32.1 IBU. So if Beersmith is so great, how can it be so far off on the IBU calc? I'm a hop head and will be brewing lots of very hoppy beers. If I can't rely on Beersmith, and have to use another app to compute IBUs, then what's the point?

Haha.. yes. Beersmith is won my in that aspect. Did you make your own profile? Technically speaking no ibu calculation is really correct. You would actually need to send your finished beer to a lab to get an accurate calculation. Good luck getting any beer over 100 ibu. Bn actually did a contest fir this and I think the closest anyone got was 97 ibu. Happy brewing! ! (Ps I don't think beersmith adds late hop additions. Which could throw your ibu count. Try putting it in at one min and try again)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Haha.. yes. Beersmith is won my in that aspect. Did you make your own profile? Technically speaking no ibu calculation is really correct. You would actually need to send your finished beer to a lab to get an accurate calculation. Good luck getting any beer over 100 ibu. Bn actually did a contest fir this and I think the closest anyone got was 97 ibu. Happy brewing! ! (Ps I don't think beersmith adds late hop additions. Which could throw your ibu count. Try putting it in at one min and try again)

I understand that all software is just estimating the end result, but 32 vs 65 is not even in the same ballpark! 32 IBUs is not really even an IPA, style-wise. getting off topic here, so I should probably move this discussion to the Software forum.

All I was saying is trust your gut. I brewed this before I bought beersmith and followed the recipe posted here. It turned out to be an amazing ipa without question.

I used this same concept on a Baltic Porter. I added all 5oz of hops after flame-out and whirlpooled for 20 minutes. Turned out awesome! Perfect smooth bitterness with loads of hop flavor and aroma.

Just had a few questions about this recipe.still somewhat of a novice brewer with about 20 batches brewed.kinda wondering about the torrified wheat,not a fan of wheat beer at all so was wondering if it

Sorry my msg was posted before I finished.just was wondering what if any issues there are with the wheat malt as far as clarity, taste, texture or any other things like that.also was wondering the amount of water to use for the boil.one last thing,is this for a five or a six gallon batch?i just started using a six gal. carboy for my pri. tweaking my ingredients to end up as close to five gallons of final product for my kegs.thanks for any input

hey enohcs

Just brewed this. It was my third brew with my new RIMS e-biab setup. It went great, and nailed the gravity exactly (1.065) then I realized I left out the wheat!!! oops. I'm sure it will still be awesome, and if I love it, the with and without wheat will be an interesting comparison.

Cheers.

Hi Brewing Brethren. Long-time lurker, first time poster here as I finally got around to remembering my password.

Been searching the world over for the perfect IPA recipe. This may be that recipe. Picked up supplies yesterday, yeast starter going now (San Diego Super Yeast....big fan), and will be brewing this today. Will eagerly report back with results.

Just wanted to say thanks for this excellent looking recipe to the OP, and for all the fine contributions to this great site from everyone else :) Brew on!

I just tapped my keg, this is an awesome IPA! Thank you for the recipe, it'll be a staple in my house!

Picked my grains and hops for brew day on Monday. They did not have torrified wheat, so I got some flaked wheat,,,,,ok substitute?

You would be hard pressed to tell the difference since there is only a quarter pound in the recipe. Afaik, torrified=kilned, flaked=flattened. So torrified would be a touch toastier, but not really noticeable at these amounts.

Warning: I have been drinking, I could be talking from my arse.

I don't have a problem doing a starter..but with two vials of yeast, should I ignore making a starter? Will my beer be better if I do a starter?

If it was me, I would have only bought 1 vial and made a starter to get up to the correct pitching level, but since you have 2, you could probably get away with it, but you will still be underpitching by a bit.

brewed today, hit OG @1.064.only thing is I did not have any whirfloc,,,,I do have some Biofine Clear. Should I put it in the primary or when I dry hop? any advantages to let this sit for 2 weeks in primary? How long in the bottle, 2 weeks?

I brewed it Sunday as my first all grain. Hit all my numbers perfect and got 1.065 in the fermentor. I also forgot to bring my whirlfloc (I didn't brew at home). I was planning to primary for a week or so then move to secondary and possibly biofine there. It tastes pretty good going into the fermentor and seems like it will be a pretty easy drinking smooth IPA. I pitched the yeast a bit low in temp but it was bubbling away when I woke up this morning. I have high hopes for this one.

Sent from my HTCONE using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back