newbie with a Morebeer kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all-

New to the site, and have been searching around, but did not find an answer, so I thought I'd post up a question.

A friend and I are thinking about brewing our own beer, and were researching kits. The Morebeer kits seem like an ok deal, and the shipping is free, which is a plus. Their system seems to call for transfering from the fermenter to the bottling bucket using a spiggot. Most things I've read reccomend a racking cane and siphon tube (which the kit seems to lack?).

1. Is transfering with a spiggot a good idea (i.e.- will I get the sediment from the bottom into my bottling bucket)?
2. If it is ok to do, will it still be ok to transfer that way into a secondary fermenter? Intuitively, I think that it would result in a pretty turbulent transfer, but I thought I'd ask here before making up my mind.

If this isn't the best kit to get, does anyone have any suggestions. I don't want to go overboard, but don't want to end up with stuff that I'll end up swapping out, or immediately upgrading.

Thanks!

-Bob

somelikeithoppy said:
…Their system seems to call for transfering from the fermenter to the bottling bucket using a spiggot. Most things I've read reccomend a racking cane and siphon tube (which the kit seems to lack?).

1. Is transferring with a spiggot a good idea (i.e.- will I get the sediment from the bottom into my bottling bucket)?
2. If it is ok to do, will it still be ok to transfer that way into a secondary fermenter? Intuitively, I think that it would result in a pretty turbulent transfer, but I thought I'd ask here before making up my mind.

First off…regardless of the kit, order yourself a racking cane with four feet of hose.

I prefer not to use a spigot because depending on the size of the yeast cake you end up with, you may end up sucking yeast into the bottling bucket. You may also end up leaving too much wort in the fermenter depending on the location of the spigot.

I always use a racking cane to transfer beer from one vessel to another.

Now…as for your bottling bucket. It should have a spigot to attach your bottling wand to.

I'd suggest getting an auto-siphon. It's a small amount more for it and believe me, you'll be thankful later when you don't have to use water or other methods to start the siphoning. Just pull up on the siphon cane, and plunge it back down, this will force the wort/beer to start flowing. It even has a piece on the end to help minimize trub and sediment. You will still need the tubing Biermuncher mentioned though, don't forget that. (if you do, home depot works for that)

People do have preferences on which kits/suppliers to use. As long as you have proper brewing equimpment, that's all that matters.

somelikeithoppy said:
I have a spigot on all of my buckets, and always transfer to secondary that way. It's no more turbulent than a racking cane...if anything, it's less. I put the bucket on the kitchen counter, and the carboy on a short stool below it, so the beer is only dropping a few feet to the bottom of the carboy. My buckets are translucent, so it's easy to see where the trub level is. After two weeks of primary fermentation, it's usually well below the spigot, but if it's even or slightly above, I just drain and discard the first cup (or fill my hydrometer jar) which clears the spigot and opens a little clean channel in the trub. From there, it's smooth sailing. Towards the end, I peer through the airlock hole to make sure no trub or floating bits are heading towards the spigot, and shut it off once all the clear beer is gone.

You still may get a tiny bit of trub out the spigot (which will very quickly settle in a secondary,) so I don't suggest this method for transferring to a bottling bucket or a keg. I use an autosiphon for that step.

BierMuncher said:
That's a good kit.

Evan had good luck here for a brew kettle.
Dang...I could've gotten 2 of those shipped for the same price I paid for my keggle shipped.

O well.

To the OP...congrats on the kit!!!

All of my fermenters have spigots & sediment is rarely a problem, even though I keg from the fermenter.

Back