Dallas / Fort Worth Grain Buy #3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are we still waiting on people to pay? I assume we won't have it until next week at this point?

Last I spoke to Brad waiting on payment from three brewers.

I received a correct invoice quote other than the freight increasing to $150 total, so we are ready to pull the trigger. But yes, once ordered it will be about a week, so I would probably say sometime in the week of 9/17- 9/21 the grain should be here. Anyone jones-ing hard can PM me, I think I have Bairds Maris Otter, Domestic 2Row, and Canada Wheat and would sell at the same price I bought it at if anyone is needing a batch worth of base.

Order has been placed, last order shipped on thursday and was received on a Monday, so I am expecting Monday next week.

Everyone look for communication from Brad about pickup when it arrives!

Just found this thread today. Are plans being made for another buy????
If there are any leftover base malts or if someone is fails to pay I would be interested. Just send me a PM.

Also, I'd be interested in any specialty malt splits

Next buy will likely be a few months.

I'd say subscribe to this thread and we will post the link to the next buy.

I believe everyone paid and grain was delivered today, so unless anyone bought too much, might be a little while before next chance.

I would not know what "sack" to buy, nor how much it would cost, or even if I have the necessary implements to make the beer. Pretty sad. But, I have made much beer, and good beer at that, though extract is pretty much all Ive done. I'm ready to make some heddy quantities, and on the cheap. I'll be hanging with a fellow brewer in a week, to spwnd an afternoon, and do a brew session from grain, so I'll be a bit more in the know come October 1.
Please relate to me some idea of the types of grains, normal quantities ( also how much beer can be made from these amounts) and lastly, if possible, what kind of pricing is anticipated for this "buy #3".
Thanks for your time, and for doing what you do!

Well I'm glad people are interested, I can't organize but I'm def in for 2 full sacks and would love to get some good specialty splits going this time.

Looks like ~22 sacks right now by my estimate.

My world is a little crazy right now and I still have plenty of grain from the last buy, but if anyone wants to step up and organize I'm happy to place the purchase.

The organizer would need to be a very good communicator and would handle first the sack list to reach the 42 sack pallet, organize any splits, then request exact sack lists, we would later receive a quote, finally the organizer would send out totals and request funds. We would need to workout a location for the freight shipment as before.

If any previous organizers or freight locations are still around and are interested please speak up!

Brad put a heck of alot of work and did an amazing job organizing the last order.

One of these buys I would like to institute a small system of rewards for those who work so hard on the buys... I'm talking maybe a $1-2 increase per sack to help buy the organizer/freight receiver a sack for their efforts.

Thanks Teal. We are still good from the last buy, but we will likely be looking do do another round in a few months. Looks like this round is half way there. Should fill fast.

I've never been part of group buy but I'm willing to start with a sack of 2 row. Let me know when this happens!

Looks like we are right around 23-27 full sacks at the moment depending on the couple of people who said 3-5 sacks.

I'd like to do splits on:
Munich-I'd be in for 10 lbs
Chocolate-10 lbs for me
Dextrin-10 lbs
Crystal 80-10 lbs

If we can get enough people then we can get some nice splits this time, last time I split a bag of wheat with another guy but that was the only split.

I'd be good for 2 sacks of 2 row and splitting a specialty (not picky). And throwing in a few $ for whoever runs the order!

I organized round 2 but don't really have time this time around. I'm in for 3 sacks of 2 row though.

My suggestion for splits. In round 2 we had a ton of splits and only 2 guys breaking down the sacks, weighing grain, etc. This took a couple hours and was a ton of work. Having 4 guys and 2 scales would have made things much easier.

Brad, where was the pickup for round 3?

I'd be in for a sack of 2 row and a split on crystal 15/30 and chocolate.

Also willing to help split/weigh/etc.

I would like to see a price list as well, and probably be in for at least a sack.

My suggestion for splits. In round 2 we had a ton of splits and only 2 guys breaking down the sacks, weighing grain, etc. This took a couple hours and was a ton of work. Having 4 guys and 2 scales would have made things much easier.

Brad, where was the pickup for round 3?

The pickup for round 3 was at my brew partners' office. Not sure that is available again, but I'll ask.

I don't have the time to organize the buy this time around, but would be interested in a couple sacks if someone else is willing to take the laboring oar.

Whoever is going to organize and keep track of it this time, I would contact Tealio and have him get the current price list from CMG.

Cheers.

I just received a current price list from CMG. Looks a little different this time.

Please email me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to you.

I don't think we will have a problem making it to the first pallet it seems, just need an organizer and freight location.

As far as splits, I would recommend to try and manage splits between brew buddies on your own.

Same goes for specialties, as there is generally much request for them. My personal opinion is at my brew level of about 100 gallons a year, I would not benefit from investing in specialties since I brew all styles. I also live 10 min from HBHQ, so I get my specialties at the same time as my yeast and only invest a couple dollars per 10 gallon batch.

I figured I would post since I'm getting a few requests for the price list on how the pricing works-

Sadly it looks like they have dropped the price break for the 2000-4000 lb order (Our minimum when ordering is one pallet which is 42 sacks at 50-55 lbs a sack depending on domestic or import grain.)

Maybe someday we would get up to 8 pallets and enough for the price break!

However two pallets may not be much more on freight than one, so that could be a price break if we got to 84 sacks!

I calculated a couple and it is a slight increase.

For example- Great Western Two Row rose from last buy pricing of $28.50 ---> $30.50

Baird's Maris Otter (my favorite) was $40.70 ---> $42.35

So yeah, $2 a sack increase on the Jan 2013 price sheet.

Also, for any new buyers looking at prices- If it is a per pound rate listed, look at the 2000# column and then the sack size usually to the left of the 2000#, multiply your per pound cost by sack size to reach your price.

There is no tax on grain.

Freight was $150 flat for the last buy, so plan to add about $3.57 for each sack to cover your individual freight cost.

So $34 a sack for basic Great Western 2Row vs. $58 locally (I think this is the local shop price for 2 row, someone could check). I would call the local price $52 to be fair with a 10% brew club discount.

Group buy would still be about a 40% discount vs local shop, so still a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm in for 3 sacks. I'd love to help organize since no one has stepped up, but don't think I can take it all on.

I'd be willing to help organize. I live over in north Fort Worth. Not sure if that's a problem for anyone.

I'd be willing to help organize. I live over in north Fort Worth. Not sure if that's a problem for anyone.

I don't think that would be an issue, but the larger requirement holding the next buy back is the freight location. Once we have a freight location I can email you the organizing info and verify it is something we can do.

In my opinion the freight location would need to be Dallas, as a majority of the buyers are based here.

Hi Guys, I live in Dallas but I work in Fort Worth so I can help with transport if that helps anyone. I would also be down for a couple of sacks of two row and a couple of sacks of pils. I could also help with anything I can do from my office like keeping track of payments etc.

Latest posts

Back