IPA bittering hops advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Alright, my brewing has been sporadic to say the least this past year. I have definitely fallen of the curve.

Anyhow, I have my coffee stout recipe down and my Belgian Wit recipe down. Really struggling with making a good IPA. I have not made one since I started water adjustments, and began using a pump and whirlpooling and all that jazz.

However, I have not been able to make a decent IPA prior.

So I am seeking some advice/opinions on hopping schedules for an IPA.

Here is my grainbill (11 gallon batch):

11.25lbs Pale Ale malt
11.25lbs Maris Otter
1lb5.3oz Munich
1lb5.3oz crystal 40L

Here is my water profile:

Ca 112
Mg 18
Na 16
SO4 256
Cl 51
CaCo3 58
Alk 48
RA -43
SO4:Cl 5.0

I have a pound of Belma & Citra (leaf), and Columbus, Magnum, Willamette and Bravo (pellet. So, Hops aren't an issue when working within these varieties.

Help me with a hopping schedule, Belma and Citra are reserved for flavor, aroma, and dry hopping.

What are your thoughts?

Simplify your grist. Good American IPAs (in my opinion) are not muddled with a bunch of heavy or sweet malts. They are quite simple with a base of American 2-row and perhaps 3-7% or so of wheat, munich, corn sugar, light crystal. Nothing wrong with swapping some American 2-row with a portion of English 2-row, but Maris Otter is quite heavy. You'll also want to mash below 152 F for a dry, crisp, highly drinkable experience. Shoot for an OG of 1.060-1.070 and try to keep the FG below 1.015, preferably 1.010-1.012.

Water chemistry seems decent to me for an IPA. I'm not an expert in that regard, but perhaps a dash of Calcium Chloride will help you since your Sulfate/Chloride ratio is a bit off. The other numbers look good though.

I just used Warrior, Citra, and Belma in two IIPAs. I didn't like what Belma had to offer. It's fruity, but also grassy & spicy. The Belma really took away from what I typically enjoy when I typically use Citra with Amarillo. However, if you must use it, then I recommend adding all of your Belma additions from 30-20 min... Reserve the Citra & Columbus for 10-0-DH. Bitter with Magnum or Bravo. Use 7-12 total oz. of hops depending on your OG and desired level of IBUs and final aroma.

Simplify your grist. Good American IPAs (in my opinion) are not muddled with a bunch of heavy or sweet malts. They are quite simple with a base of American 2-row and perhaps 3-7% or so of wheat, munich, corn sugar, light crystal. Nothing wrong with swapping some American 2-row with a portion of English 2-row, but Maris Otter is quite heavy. You'll also want to mash below 152 F for a dry, crisp, highly drinkable experience. Shoot for an OG of 1.060-1.070 and try to keep the FG below 1.015, preferably 1.010-1.012.

Water chemistry seems decent to me for an IPA. I'm not an expert in that regard, but perhaps a dash of Calcium Chloride will help you since your Sulfate/Chloride ratio is a bit off. The other numbers look good though.

I just used Warrior, Citra, and Belma in two IIPAs. I didn't like what Belma had to offer. It's fruity, but also grassy & spicy. The Belma really took away from what I typically enjoy when I typically use Citra with Amarillo. However, if you must use it, then I recommend adding all of your Belma additions from 30-20 min... Reserve the Citra & Columbus for 10-0-DH. Bitter with Magnum or Bravo. Use 7-12 total oz. of hops depending on your OG and desired level of IBUs and final aroma.

Noted, than you for your input.

I haven't worked out the amounts yet, but what about:
Bravo or Magnum (60 min)
Belma (30 min)
Columbus (15 min)
Citra (10 min) perhaps a Belma/Citra Combo
Columbus (5 min)
Citra (0 min/whirlpool)

Seperate into two 5 gallon batches

batch 1 - DH Belma(7days)
batch 2 - DH Citra(7days)

Back