adjusting old partial grain recipe to full grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daggers_nz

Reaction score
hi there I wanted to take this partial grain recipe and get rid of the LME:

Pale (4.5 lb)
Crystal 10L (0.5 lb)
Carapils (0.5 lb)
Wheat (0.5 lb)
Light LME (3.3lb)

so I've calculated how much percentage each grain makes up in the total grain bill (excluding the LME) and then multiplied it by the mass of the LME to get the additional amount of each grain to add to the original bill.

ie. Pale = (4.5lb / 6lb) = 0.75
4.5lb + (0.75 * 3.3lb) = 6.975lb

and the end result is:

Pale (6.975 lb)
Crystal 10L (0.775 lb)
Carapils (0.775 lb)
Wheat (0.775 lb)

is this correct or have I done it wrong, missed anything etc. Left out the hops as that will stay the same anyway

thanks

daggers_nz said:
hi there I wanted to take this partial grain recipe and get rid of the LME:

Pale (4.5 lb)
Crystal 10L (0.5 lb)
Carapils (0.5 lb)
Wheat (0.5 lb)
Light LME (3.3lb)

so I've calculated how much percentage each grain makes up in the total grain bill (excluding the LME) and then multiplied it by the mass of the LME to get the additional amount of each grain to add to the original bill.

ie. Pale = (4.5lb / 6lb) = 0.75
4.5lb + (0.75 * 3.3lb) = 6.975lb

and the end result is:

Pale (6.975 lb)
Crystal 10L (0.775 lb)
Carapils (0.775 lb)
Wheat (0.775 lb)

is this correct or have I done it wrong, missed anything etc. Left out the hops as that will stay the same anyway

thanks
The LME is replaced directly with 2-row. You don't need to scale the entire grain bill. In fact, doing so will completely change the recipe.

You need to calculate the gravity of the LME you are replacing, then figure out from there how much grain to use. LME is 38 pppg (potential points per gallon or 1 pound of LME in one gallon of water will yield an SG of 1.038)
You need 125.4 points (38x3.3lbs) to replace the LME.

2-row is 37pppg (I think? Someone please correct?) however, you won't get 100% extraction. Let's figure 80% because I have no clue what your efficiency looks like. Sooo....

125.4/37/.8=4.23lbs of 2-row making your recipe look like this.
Pale (8.73 lb)
Crystal 10L (0.5 lb)
Carapils (0.5 lb)
Wheat (0.5 lb)
Light LME (3.3lb)

I just reread this and realized you said pale malt. The pppg may be different than 2-row, but the math is still the same.

I just reread this and realized you said pale malt. The pppg may be different than 2-row, but the math is still the same.
"Pale malt" is one of those frustrating terms that can mean virtually any type of base malt depending on who is saying it and in what context (i.e. I believe that Beersmith considers 2 row base malt "US Pale Malt"). Ironically, the term "2-row" should technically be more ambiguous (since virtually all malts used in homebrewing are 2 row) but it almost always means US malted 2 row pale malt.

the general rule of thumb is 1lb 2-row = 0.75lb LME = 0.6lb DME, so just double your pale from the original recipe and you'll be close enough

Most extract isn't just 2-row. It usually has a little carapils added. Since you already have carapils, c-10 and wheat (man, that beer must have been pure foam), you won't need to replace the missing carapils. In a different recipe, you might want it.

Back