Carboy cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckD123

Reaction score
Noob here. Just bottled my first 5 gallong batch. Now I need to clean the carboy. What is the best way to get the leftovers from krausen out of the inside of the carboy. I'm assuming the leftovers are just organic matter (i.e. yeast, hops, etc). Is there a brush on the market or is soaking it the only way to go? Thanks in advance.

you can get a large bottle brush from your lhbs, or a restaurant supply store. looks like a baby bottle brush on steroids that got hit by radiation and grew 2 feet or so

Cool thanks. I will look into that. Figured that was the solution, but also never hurts to ask.

I just soak overnight in hot water and oxyclean. In the morning there is nothing at all left on the sides of the carboys. If this is a plastic carboy i would not scrub it with a brush as you'll get lots of scratches. If it's glass then scrub away if that's what you prefer. I have tried with a carboy brush a couple times and it always seems to be a big PITA and awkward to get it in all the right places.

Back