question on making belgian candi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybabsy

Reaction score
hi guys

following a recipie from basic brewing vids

making some here atm, and following this recipie:

2lbs sugar
1 cup water
3 tsp of diammonium phosphate/ammonium sulphate (youngs yeast nutrient)

goto 290 oF
add another cup
bring back to 290
and a thrid cup of water
bring to 240.

anyways, going ok. the smell is not what i expected. it smells sweet, but the initial smell as its boiling is more acid/sulphuric. I'm a little concerned about this. kind of smell will give me a headache soon!

thoughts?

thanks

Matthew

2 lbs of sugar in water is not just water!

I have never smelled what you are smelling when making convert sugar but your recipe looks similar to tbe one I use. I say continue, taste it when you are done and make your assesment from there.

thanks! was worried about the amount of diamonnium phosphate/ammonium sulphate in there!

smell and taste got pretty amazing- went for too long though-290 and went from a beautiful deep red plum, raisin, coffee, rum taste/colour to a darker bitter and tart. good to know for next time. good fun!

The less water the quicker it'll get up to temp I've found out. Do yourself a favor and sprinkle with confectioners sugar too when cool. Mine just all stuck together in the container when it cooled. Worked fine but I just threw a whole pound in my boil kettle at once. I was afraid it would scorch on the bottom.

Back