containing small grains like quinoa or amaranth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChasidicCalvinist

Reaction score
My last 2 batches have had 1/2 lb of amaranth. I can't keep those suckers contained. they go through my grain bag and my sieve! I know some of them are floating around in both of my fermenters. Does anyone have any tips on how to contain small grains?

My last 2 batches have had 1/2 lb of amaranth. I can't keep those suckers contained. they go through my grain bag and my sieve! I know some of them are floating around in both of my fermenters. Does anyone have any tips on how to contain small grains?

Nylon grain bag or muslin?

i use a nylon grain bag or tea infuser depending on the size of grain. not had a problem so far, although i suppose if some escape you could use some sort of small strainer?

I haven't tried messing with amaranth yet, but if you're getting some slipping through, I'd think they should just settle out with the rest of the trub, allowing you to just rack off when you bottle or move to secondary. But what you could try is actually using the grain bed in your grain bag as a filter, and pouring your wort through it a few times before starting the boil. The grains small enough to pass through will go through on the first one or two pours, so you'll end up with just the ones that are too big lining the bag, and they'll catch the smaller ones (in theory).

Back