Please help me figure out my Chugger Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawilson20

Reaction score
image-3952085649.jpg

Typical Chugger Pump set up with out port facing up. This pump does not seem to want to work. All it does when starting is give an initial burst of water. It then sounds just like the other (impeller running). I have tested these lines with the other pump, so plumbing is not a concern.

Please help, I am so tired of working on this system.

Try taking the head apart, also removing the mag drive, then put it all back together. I'm assuming you're not having air lock problems.

Can you lower the end of the output hose and see if it pumps? I had a Chugger that couldn't pump to height but it did blasted out just fine at a lower level.

They're really good at returns/exchanges so if the above doesn't work give them a call.

I have a Tee on the output of mine with a ball valve on a drain so I can purge the air out of the system.

Untitled by HDIr0n, on Flickr

Kind of hard to see if you aren't zoomed in, but I think it might show you what I am saying.

are you letting the pump prime? IE opening the out valve fully and letting it fill prior to turning on the pump?you might also check to see if you have the large or small impeller. as I found the stainless pumps had the small impeller and my plastic one came with a large impeller. pushes water further... And, it's not binding or anything right? (no loud screaching noise?) might call them and ask for tech assistance of an exchange. They have been great pumps for me so far.

brewingmeister said:
sounds like the pump is not primed. you have air and liquid in the head and not just liquid.

Very well could be the case. Tell me where I am going wrong in the following scenario.

1 - liquid comes into pump head via gravity by opening ball valve on kettle.

2 - wait for liquid to stabilize then turn pump on

3 - either the pump would run as it should or I would get an initial outburst of liquid into to kettle then nothing else.

if it doesn't get going from the opening of the valve on the inlet side I have had good luck getting prime by pouring water down the outlet hose.

brewingmeister said:
if it doesn't get going from the opening of the valve on the inlet side I have had good luck getting prime by pouring water down the outlet hose.

But should I really need to do that? It was my impressions that these pumps were not temperamental like that. Am I crazy to expect more out of these guys?

you should have the valve open on the outlet side of the pump as well. the liquid will actually flow all the way through the pump (without turning it on) and you will see the level in your connection going to the next vessel (or same if you are recirculating.) If you just open the kettle valve you have trapped air in the pump head and line.

well, they aren't self priming pumps so they can be fussy some times. the lower they are in the setup the easier they tend to prime. I believe the LG pump is self priming if you get too fed up with the non self priming ones.

jawilson20 said:
Very well could be the case. Tell me where I am going wrong in the following scenario.

1 - liquid comes into pump head via gravity by opening ball valve on kettle.

2 - wait for liquid to stabilize then turn pump on

3 - either the pump would run as it should or I would get an initial outburst of liquid into to kettle then nothing else.

Try running the outlet hose for a moment in another container (I.e. outlet hose loose) once it starts, shut down ball valve THEN pump. You're not getting a prime. Same thing with March 809 when there is back pressure not purging all the air from the plumbing. It's usually a good idea to prime the pump when you start, as it's cold water.

I really think you are just forgetting to open all the valves in the system so gravity can naturally push all the air out of the pump head. once the pump and line are primed you can close the valve completely. you don't need to add water to the line.

Back