Airlock question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyp1980

Reaction score
Start of day 3 fermenting. I woke up and it's still bubbling like crazy. I noticed discoloration in the water and it's foaming a bit through the cap. It's not bad and I don't think pressure is enough to blow the lock off. Is this normal???

The discoloration is probably krauzen from the fermentation. Id say get a piece of 1/2" hose and remove the airlock cap and inner float and the hose will fit over the main piece and run the other end to a bowl of sanitized water

Definitely hook up a blow off tube as described above, if the airlock gets plugged up the pressure will blow it off an you'll be cleaning up quite a mess, not fun!

As previously posted, unless you want to clean your ceiling throw a blow-off tube on there STAT!

This is what it looked like this morning. Hope the pic came out using my phone.

image-161347049.jpg

KaiserBierMann said:
Oh boy are you going to have a long day! :D

No worries, even if it blows it's still going to be ok.

Yes long day indeed. Just crossing my fingers at this point

Oh no is that white carpet that it's next to? Your SWMBO is gonna be pissed!

I'm just giving you a hard time :)

and that does look like Krausen getting into the airlock, you'll need that blow off.

KaiserBierMann said:
Oh no is that white carpet that it's next to? Your SWMBO is gonna be pissed!

I'm just giving you a hard time :)

and that does look like Krausen getting into the airlock, you'll need that blow off.

I'm going to pick up some tubing while at work. Just hoping it waits for me. 1/2 inch tubing standard for that type of airlock?

On a 3 piece airlock I use 3/8 or 1/2" not sure which. I'm terrible at hose diameter recognition. I take the lid off and the float, the hose will fit perfectly onto the airlock tube then I run the other end into a jug of sanitized water. My last brew blew off like crazy and this method worked perfectly.

you may want to look into buying some Fermcap-S for next time. It'll keep it from getting so high.

Very nice! Glad she didn't blow! You may want to lower the jar below the airlock to prevent suck back.

Start of day 3 fermenting. I woke up and it's still bubbling like crazy. I noticed discoloration in the water and it's foaming a bit through the cap. It's not bad and I don't think pressure is enough to blow the lock off. Is this normal???

its normal when you used an airlock and needed a blow off tube.

DoubleAught said:
Very nice! Glad she didn't blow! You may want to lower the jar below the airlock to prevent suck back.

I was thinking about it all day lol. I'll lower it a bit. Thanks.

don't knock exploding beers, I had a Belgian wit that got renamed "ceiling wit" after it actually hit the ceiling and all four walls. :)

jtakacs said:
don't knock exploding beers, I had a Belgian wit that got renamed "ceiling wit" after it actually hit the ceiling and all four walls. :)

I hope I never have to go through that.

So its been 3 1/2 days in fermentation.. I replaced the blow off back to airlock mode..its only burping about once every 15 seconds..slowing down as i expected...this beer is supposed to reach around 6.7 ABV...my question is say after a week its done fermenting or my reading is constant x 2days..do i leave it for another week? 2? or do i rack it to my secondary with me dry hops after the to consistant readings?

Rack to the secondary when the ferm activity quiets down to practically nil. Probably 7 to 10 days from brew day. Take a hydro reading when you xfer.

Also, get a stand for that acoustic. ;)

jamoke said:
Rack to the secondary when the ferm activity quiets down to practically nil. Probably 7 to 10 days from brew day. Take a hydro reading when you xfer.

Also, get a stand for that acoustic. ;)

Thanks. Ya lol that's my beater. My good stash is behind me on stands

Back