mixing corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
So, from what I have read, it is nearly impossible to get a good OG when topping your wort off with water at the beginning of the whole brewing process due to the difficulty of mixing wort with water. If that is so, how do I know that my corn sugar is mixed well after racking into the bottling bucket before bottling to assure even distribution of sugars?

Rack on top of your priming solution. I put my tube at an angle during transfer so the beer swirls as it wracks. It'll mix nice and good since it's such a small amount going into your 5 gallons - don't worry about it.

Once as an experiment I mixed up a cup of water with blue food coloring in it. I dumped the colored water into my bottle bucket as though it were priming solution and racked 5 gallons of water on it. I always curve the racking hose at the bottom of the bottle bucket so that I get a whirlpool effect when racking. The blue water mixed in beautifully with the whirlpooling 5 gallons of water without any stirring.

The reason water and wort don't mix well at the beginning is because it was not boiled together. There is a lot that takes place during the boil that makes wort, wort.

However, corn sugar you should be boiling with some water to make a solution that is well blended because it is boiled, when you get your beer swirling into the bottling bucket you are just trying to distribute some sugar into the wort to get some carbonation, not effecting flavor.

I bottle a lot and they always come out carbonated...

So, from what I have read, it is nearly impossible to get a good OG when topping your wort off with water at the beginning of the whole brewing process due to the difficulty of mixing wort with water. If that is so, how do I know that my corn sugar is mixed well after racking into the bottling bucket before bottling to assure even distribution of sugars?

As others have said, rack onto the priming solution. If you're still not relaxed, dip your long spoon in star san and give it a stir. Feel better? Good. :)

Back