First cask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
So far I have made two all grain batches, and both have had good/bad things happen. I like the outcome, but I know I can improve!

One of the main things, is bottling! Now, I don't mind bottling, and will probably continue to bottle, BUT I would like to keg as well.

I have seen these, and I'm wondering, are they serving kegs, and how exactly do they work?
Cask!

Now I've had a look at this, and similar designs in store, and it seems it has a CO2 injector type thing that uses small CO2 cartridges, that are pierced as you screw them into the top of the cask.

Now, can i use this to serve my beers in, before i make a move to a better kegging system?
Also, will i be able to cask the main amount of my beer, but still bottle 1-2 gallons just to ive to friends, and to have a variety of beers around.

Im thinking, there is no way to control how much pressure there is in this barrel. Would it UN-intentionally force carb it? Or will it just gush when i open the tap.

Ive seen some where the tap has a back nut, so Im assuming I could possibly replace the default tap with something a bit more robust.

EDIT: Just realised Im in a different forum to what I thought I was in!

You should look into a 3 gallon keg. That way you can still bottle 2 gallons of beer to give to friends and family.

images

Yes, at some point I will definitely move to them when I have the spare cash! But for now, I want to try something cheap and easy haha!

So, any one usethese pressure barrels? am I right in thinking you prime as normal, and add the cO2 cartridges as they prime carbonation starts to drop?

Back