Williams Brew Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
I am coming out of a 5 year retirement (like Miles) and I am looking for something fairly easy but good quality. I've heard good things about Williams. I just ordered the California Pilsner, The Alcohol is a bit low (4%) but that's actually better for a daily drinker (I guess).

Anyway, I am no stranger to 2 stage fermentation etc. anyone have any experience with Williams?

Hints?
Tips?
Tricks?

I used Williams as my main kit supplier when I lived in California. No complaints. Really liked their nut brown extract.

cool.
looks like liquid yeast?

soo, a Pilsner is a lager without the cold fermenting right?

The only problem that I have with the kits from Williams Brewing is that the recipes don't tell you what hops are used. They give you packages that are numbered and the recipe just tells you what number to add at what time during the boil. Makes it difficult to reproduce the recipe if you like it. You would have to buy the kit again, but that is the idea behind it. IMHO.

John

Try brewers best kits ..iv'e used and have several of them and everything in them is name brand and very high quality.

The Northern Brewer kit I used for my first brew (51.5 hours into fermentation, at this moment) was very well packaged and well documented. The yeast was an Wyeast Activator pack, very easy to use. I've got another almost six weeks to go before I can evaluate the results of my first-timer newbie brewing efforts, but I can say right now that I was impressed with the care with which the kit was assembled, and the full documentation of the components.

Northern Brewer has a lot of kits, and most are available as extract, extract with steeping grains (what I bought), and all-grain.

i'll put in my vote for Austin Homebrew kits. 523 kits, available in extract, steeping kits and all grain...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/beer_recipes_rank_comments.php?beerorwine=beer

ingredients are easily identified(either on the package or on the instruction sheet).

they offer quick, good service with a huge selection.

here's a picture of the double chocolate stout i just brewed. 10th on their list of kit sales:
dcam1754rt0.jpg

i have the number one selling kit, their Bavarian Hefeweizen in transit now... :rockin:

pbowler said:
I am coming out of a 5 year retirement

Welcome! I came out of a 7 year retirement a little over a month ago and I have not looked back. I bought from Williams back then when I lived in Utah and my first brew used a 7 year old 6 lb. pack of German Pilsener LME from them. I hope to see how it turns out when I get back home next week.

I live in Austin, so I just run to Austin Home Brew to pick up what I need. I've moved to AG now though.

EdWort said:
I live in Austin, so I just run to Austin Home Brew to pick up what I need.

That's the only reason I'd live in Austin. (well, besides the high quality tail running around that town.....)

I wish AHB was my local store.

Williams kits seems to be a bit higher cost than Midwest Supplies, Northwest or More Beer. (I got their catalog in the mail last week)

Hey, dudes. How well do the ingredients hold up when shipped, say, across country from California or Texas to, say, NJ. During, say, this time of year?

I guess I'm wondering about the yeast. I have a local homebrew store which is about a 45 minute drive from me. I'm wondering if I should order ingredients online which is more convenient, or support the local store. From a principals perspective, I want to support the locals. But it is a nice thought to be able to buy stuff in the middle of the night when it's on my mind and just have it arrive in a week or so,

Back