What's your method for Scottish beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWhat

Reaction score
I was just wondering what methods other brewers use to get the caramel/peat flavors associated wit the style(s).
I take the first two quarts of wort after the vorluff (sp) an boil the #$*! out of them until they're reduced to less than 1 quart, then add this back to the boil kettle for a 90 minute boil. That along with White Labs Edinburgh yeast at 67 degrees gives me a really nice 80 Schilling with just a hint of smokiness.

I was just wondering what methods other brewers use to get the caramel/peat flavors associated wit the style(s).
I take the first two quarts of wort after the vorluff (sp) an boil the #$*! out of them until they're reduced to less than 1 quart, then add this back to the boil kettle for a 90 minute boil. That along with with Edinburgh yeast at 67 degrees gives me a really nice 80 Schilling with just a hint of smokiness.

same method i use. damn. shouldn't haven't mentioned an 80 schilling. now i want 1. have to get the ingredients to get 1 going soon :rockin:

I take the first two quarts of wort after the vorluff (sp) an boil the #$*! out of them until they're reduced to less than 1 quart, then add this back to the boil kettle for a 90 minute boil. That along with with Edinburgh yeast at 67 degrees gives me a really nice 80 Schilling with just a hint of smokiness.
I keep the peat as far away from the brew kettle as possible. Hard 90 minute boil. Keep the 1728 under 60 degrees, and do a month of lagering.

I made a wee heavy by doing a single decoction mash followed by a hard 90 minute boil. I thought about reducing the first gallon as well, but wanted to just get on with it. It's still conditioning, but the flavor is great.

I keep the peat as far away from the brew kettle as possible. Hard 90 minute boil. Keep the 1728 under 60 degrees, and do a month of lagering.
I with ya on the peat. My grain bill is 10 lb.Maris Otter, 8 oz. c-120 and 2 oz. roasted barley

Back