Found a place to refill co2 in NYC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a funny look from the MTA bus driver and he asked me if it was a bomb. I showed him it was a CO2 tank and he let me on, though some might not. I had no problem on the subway, but i certainly understand how others may have had a different experience than me.

I get my tank delivered today. I'll have to figure out where to fill it...

I purchased a GE WMR04bapbb yesterday off craigslist for 50.

I need to mod but plan on bottling my current brew and will be brewing saturday and sunday giving me about 6-8 weeks until I am ready for kegging so I have a little time but am very antsy...

I am pricing out keg conversion kits and have decided on 2 5 gallon ball lock kegs and 2 faucet tower.

After calling brooklyn home brew in the slope they told me they have 2 used ball lock kegs right now for 50 a pop. A 5 gallon co2 tank for 100!!!

www.bvrgelements.com has 2 used kegs for 75 and tank for 48.75 plus shipping = $156.02

amazon has a pretty good kit from the beverage factory in san diego - 171.90 after shipping
- Polished Stainless Steel Dual Faucet Draft Beer Tower - 3" Column
- Premium Dual Gauge Regulator with Splitter
- Two "D" System American Beer Lever Handle Tap Coupler
- Two 5 Foot Sections of 3/16" ID Beer & 5/16" ID Air line assemblies
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052WCFEK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

last I can grab 2 sets of couplers from brooklyn home brew for 14 per set total 28 bucks

total 356 plus my fridge makes it around 405...am I missing something...do you guys think this works being that you must all be kegging in the NYC area.

lastly I called big apple welding supply and they wanted 95 for a full tank...wtf

really lastly...first post after tons of trolling...you all rock :rockin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Try McKinneys. I havent used them yet but planning on for the next time I refill. I cant believe last time I filled my tank was almost a year ago.

What I do to save up on gas is use sugar to initially carb up my kegs. I bought 5 lbs of corn sugar back when I was bottling and still have plenty of sugar to go around.

McKinney's is good, right in Manhattan on the West side. It's a smaller extension shop, so call ahead. I went there once at about 1pm and they were out of 5lb tanks to swap, but they get them every day. Also, I always put my 5lb-er in a bag or something, people are nuts and it's not worth the hassle of having to explain it 10 times.

So do they fill or swap? Or both...just got a brand new tank wouldn't want to part with it yet.

Update from my post yesterday that did not appear until today...

I went to the LHBS in park slope 5 minutes before close last night and picked up some odds and ends (new ale pail, irish moss, ball lock couplers)...when the nice woman there asked if I needed anything else I brought up the kegs and co2. Got my kegs and co2 for 146 after tax!

Purchased the kit off amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004POGGQE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
*181 and change less my 100 coupon via thank you rewards (9000 pts right now)

Went home bottled my English Brown Ale (last big bottling sess, SWMBO was thrilled about that), and brewed my first non kit recipe (partial mash IPA tentatively calling Bunny Hop IPA since it will be on draft for Easter probably)

Needless to say I had sweet dreams about kegs and IPA and me running around barefoot in the streets of brooklyn

Last edited by a moderator:
So do they fill or swap? Or both...just got a brand new tank wouldn't want to part with it yet.

They only swap, at least at their Manhattan branch. Their main office in the Bronx might fill. I know there are a couple of other places out towards New Rochelle that fill, too. But don't worry, you'll get over your reluctance to trade away the your shiny new cylinder soon enough! We all do. ;)

I've never understood why anyone cares about that in the first place. You're getting a perfectly functioning piece of equipment back that should be hidden anyway. I've only met one person who has their tank exposed in thier setup.

Some of us like shiny things ;) I did an exchange of my tank once. It was aluminum for aluminum and I lucked out and got a newer tank then my original one. Since its my tank I also have it full of stickers - NB, Rogness, etc.

If I had a steel tank I wouldnt care. At least to a point where I dont get a tank that is about to expire. I am planning on getting another tank and will decide if it will be 10 or more.

I am moving next year and my current plan is to build a new kegerator which would be better off with a 10 pounder. My last fill up was in 3/2011. I am still full of gas :) and will only have to refill one more time until I move. Plenty of time to

Called around to some places today listed as "fire extinguisher" or "fire safety" places and this one says they refill a 5lb'er during lunch for $25...Drop off at noon, pick up around 1:30. I at least want my shiny new cylinder for one go round...

http://www.ablefireprevention.com/contact.htm

This is who I used last 2 times. Thanks for updating us on the price. I was expecting it to be $6/lb for 2012. In 2010 it was $4/lb, in 2011 it was $5/lb.

Just picked mine up. Kegging, here I come...Left it at lunch yesterday, picked it up at lunch today. For all who don't know, you have to go into the Parking Garage at 241 W 26th turn left and go up the stairs to the 2nd floor.

So I've read through this thread and I'm still confused as to who will fill a tank vs. who only does swaps. I just bought a new setup with a brand new CO2 5 lb tank and I don't want to swap it.

I'm in Brooklyn, but could also do downtown Manhattan, except that I work for a living and I'd guess most of these places are closed Saturdays, Sundays and after hours.

So which of the supply places will do a refill??? It doesn't have to be as you wait, overnight or later in the day is fine.

I know it was mentioned before in this thread Simplex Fire Extinguisher. I went this morning and he filled my 5# tank in about 5 minutes. Just call first to make sure someone is there. 718-998-1250. 1621 McDonald ave

Thanks. I kept reading conflicting stories. Simplex is pretty close, I'll call in the morning.

Just got back from Simplex. It took about 5 minutes and cost $20 for a 5lb fill. Nice guy too. Promised him a cold one for the next time. It's also only about 10 minutes, if that, from my house.

Just picked mine up. Kegging, here I come...Left it at lunch yesterday, picked it up at lunch today. For all who don't know, you have to go into the Parking Garage at 241 W 26th turn left and go up the stairs to the 2nd floor.

Just did this last week. It's clearly not their main business, but they were happy to take my $25 & refill my tank.

I started with an aluminum one, swapped for a nasty old one. But who cares, it's in the fridge. The first place I went was WAY out in Brooklyn.

Went to the Bronx office of McKinney today, and since I live on the other side of the Bronx (moved here from Brooklyn a couple of months ago), it was a bit of a hassle.

That said, they were great, and I'll probably hit up the Manhattan location next time--it's easier to go all the way to 42nd St on the 1 and catch a bus/walk than it was to take the 1 down until I could transfer to the 2 (which really doesn't go that close to McKinney).

On the bright side, saw lots of late model used cars from reliable brands for sale in the area, and SWMBO and I are in the market for a car, since she commutes to CT 3x a week.

Oh, I refilled 2 5# tanks for $15 each. Damn near exactly what I paid back in Pittsburgh at the beer store. No complaints here, as I've now got beer flowing out of two taps again! :ban::mug:

Oh, and when I say I "refilled" two tanks, I mean I exchanged two tanks. A shiny aluminum tank and a rusty steel one, and got back two aluminum tanks! Wooo!

Awesome given that my route there involved WAY too much walking. The two full tanks weren't noticeably heavier than the two empties I brought back!

After going to Simplex and having him refill in a few minutes I don't understand why some places only do exchanges. I guess you made out though. I had a brand new aluminum tank and didn't want to exchange it for an old steel one.

Just an update...this morning before work, I went to the Manhattan location of McKinney, and exchanged 2 5# co2 cylinders for $30. Quick and painless, but call before you go to the Manhattan location, because they only get so many each day.

So glad to be drinking draught beer again! :ban:

Just a heads up to anyone searching in the future. Bitters & Esters does swaps now. Since I'm out there almost every week it's way easier than going out of my way for any place in the city. I think it's around $24.

Found a great place to refill tanks in Brooklyn.Its at 2700 GERRITSEN AVE NEAR sheep'S head BAY. Knapp STREET EXIT ON THE BELT PARKWAY ask FOR jOE 1718-7108746

Liberty Industrial Gas & Welding Supply has always given me great service. They are in Red Hook, Brooklyn at 600 Smith Street 718-596-0060.
CO2 is done on exchange only but I have always gotten a new tank or like new tank back. Never any issues.

I started going to Liberty since they are open on Saturday, and I do my shopping at the Fairway. Never a problem there.

Simplex was only open weekdays, and then they weren't usually there.

I started going to Liberty since they are open on Saturday, and I do my shopping at the Fairway. Never a problem there.

Simplex was only open weekdays, and then they weren't usually there.

How much does that cost you at Liberty?

Just stopped by... I need a 5lb tank -- they quoted me at $180 for an empty tank. I walked out laughing. But in all seriousness, I still do need a 5lb tank so I may have to order one online and then walk back down to Liberty like a chump to fill/swap it :mad:

I think Liberty charges 22 for a swap, although my wife is saying it was a little more since she did it for me last time. $180 for an empty tank is a bit much. What I like about them though is it takes just a few minutes, they always have it, and they are always there during their business hours. The tanks I've gotten in swap have all been relatively new aluminum ones.

The guys at Simplex were always nice when I could catch them, but you had to be ready to be there when they were. They did refills, not swaps.

Is there a place where I can refill my SodaStream canisters for cheap or maybe a Paintball canister in the Rego Park area?

thanks

Back