Scorching on Brew Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
I have an aluminum 5 gallon brewpot i use for extract partial boils on a propane burner outside.

It works great, never had issue with burning my wort or anything.

However, the bottom of the pot is black from scorching. I have brewed 5 batches so far, and the only headache I have is the scorching on the pot. My sink inside is black with soot when i put the pot in for an ice bath to cool my wort. Also, the scorched soot will not come off. I tried to clean it after the first batch, but failed, and figured since i use it to brew a lot, no use cleaning the outside after every use.

Will a stainless steel pot not scorch up as bad? Or there other pots someone could recommend that would do away with scorching?

If i fix this issue, brewing will be nearly, headache free.

I have the same problem and haven't solved it yet - but the soot on mine does come off when I clean it. From what I've read it's a matter of adjusting the propane burner to prevent soot.

Brent

Nothing to do with your aluminum pot. I have stainless and aluminum pots...both are equally black on the bottom. The problem is that your (and mine) burner are very inefficient, resulting in a lot of soot on the bottom of our pots.

Better burner (more efficient) will help prevent the soot. It's just a cosmetic thing and won't hurt anything.

Yeah, I would think you could adjust the burner (maybe lessen the air getting into the mixture?). I've never had soot build-up on my pots (not much anyway).

Yeah, I would think you could adjust the burner (maybe lessen the air getting into the mixture?). I've never had soot build-up on my pots (not much anyway).

Agree with lessening the air in the mix. The flame should be blue, with as little yellow as possible. Any way you can cool the wort outside so your sink doesn't stain? A big tub with ice water?:mug:

Any way you can cool the wort outside so your sink doesn't stain? A big tub with ice water?

I may have to do this. I have a wort chiller also, i guess i can hook up to the outside hose.

I may have to do this. I have a wort chiller also, i guess i can hook up to the outside hose.

If you get a prechiller as well and put that in icewater, you'll be amazed at how fast your wort chills. I used to use the icewater in the sink method and it took FOREVER sometimes.

Latest posts

Back