Cold crashing sans fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I know the answer is probably here, but I can't figure out the magic phrase for the search. Anyway...

Can this be done? I'd like to CC my IPAs but can't really afford a fridge/ deepfreeze and temp control gauge. I thought about filling a rubbermaid can w/ ice and CC it college keg party style, but does this need to be done for more than a couple days? Maybe it has to be better temp controlled than that? What's the word?

IMHO that would take a ton of ice and a lot of work - if you could even get it cold enough. Given what you said about not being able to afford it I'd still encourage you to scour Craigs List for a freezer (think cheap) and then build your own temp controller with the instructions listed in this link.

If all you're doing is cold crashing have at it. I wouldn't worry about a temp controller unless you're looking to ferment or lager at a somewhat precise temp.

Back