Rdwhahb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatey

Reaction score
I was watching the latest episode of "Brewmasters" and enjoying a bottle of Sierra Nevada's North Hemisphere. This beer is made from wet hops and it exemplifies how much of a difference fresh ingredients makes. If your local beer store has it, give it a try.

In the spirit of the show, I decided to open up a bottle of DFH's Midas Touch. I bought a 4-pack on a whim and was a little disappointed. It's a great beer in concept but the actual beer tastes more like cheap wine than it does good beer.

It was pretty chilled and I noticed that it had significant chill haze. This was not my first bottle of this ale and I'm pretty sure it hazed up more than normal.

I, in a weird way, felt pretty happy in this. DFH is one of the largest craft brewers in the business. Even they make beers with aesthetic imperfections. Whether or not they realize that this exists is irrelevant. It either demonstrates that they make mistakes, or they're willing to accept that some beers won't end up perfect.

In my pursuit to make good beers, I feel reassured that good beer may not always be aesthetically pleasing or without any off flavors. As a home brewer, I very often get wrapped up in the nuances and imperfections of my beer. In the end: Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew.

Here, Here. Man it is so easy to get off track (especially on here). Good beer is the answer, no matter what the question is. - Dwain

Dogfish Head is not the best brewery for hopheads. If you like malty beers, the are one of the best breweries in the country.

Midas Touch is VERY sweet. I agree that it tastes like mead and moscato d'asti wine, but honey and grapes ARE listed on the front label. Plus, the recipe is based on the chemical analysis of the residue found in a beer cup in the tomb of King Midas. I don't think hops were used back then, so making it a hoppy beer would take away from the authenticity.

It was one of my favorite beers when I first started drinking craft brew, but as my taste has changed. It is an excellent beginners craft brew for the american palate.

just had my first northern hemisphere at my favorite brew pub and it was spectacular! perfect poor, perfect head and it was tasty! whenever I'm low on my stash I'll buy sn, usually their pale ales and more recently the ca. Haven't seen nh on the shelves anywhere

IMO, i thought Midas Touch was a really good beer.
Yes, It is low on hops and it is fairly sweet.
The beer residue found in king midas tomb had residue of barley,grapes,honey - a mix of beer wine and mead. This is what they designed the beer around.

Dogfish even says it was instantly a hit, thought initially among wine enthusiasts who compared it to champagne.

Tasting notes: Just as advertised, It pours royally gold with a form collar of foam and some yeast cloudiness. The fruity aroma of grapes, honey and spices is fit for a king. The sweet flavor of honey mead and fruity wine up front overshadows the light malt and saffron. The finish is dry and smooth.

The beer is different, But it was meant to be that way.
Come on by now we all know the slogan, Off centered beers for off centered people.
It fits when it comes to this beer.

It sounds like I was mistaken on the chill haze; it must have been the yeast-cloud.m I feel the beer is a bit of a novelty and I highly doubt I would buy it again. Overall I am a fan of their unconventional approach to beer.

Rogue 'Yellow Snow Pale Ale' has chill haze. Ommegang 'Biere De mars' has it too. I think there are a lot out there. You need to chill it down to almost freezing for it to develop. If you cool and serve at 40 F, the beers are crystal clear, but near freezing they develop the haze, which stays until it gets around 50 F.

Midas Touch is like a malty dessert wine, not for me. I appreciated the creativity and was glad I tried it, but I won't buy it again.

Back