Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice.. I did a package of Sam's chicken breasts, brined and cherry smoked on my MBS. It's hard for me to smoke unless it's at night, at least for stuff like briskets and pork butts.

I've got you beat though.. 4 kids under 5.

Holy cow. You better start learning to cook cafeteria style, because when they are teenagers look out.

Yeah.. It's funny we were just talking the other day about how much milk we go through. I was thinking about mixing the dry milk in half and half with D and see if they'd drink it.

We go through maybe 2-3 gallons for the kids a week, depending.

C'est la vie! 4 is it though..

Threw a butt on after the ribs last night.
10 hrs in and 163* internal.

image.jpg

I've got a butt in some brine right now, and gonna have it ready to go on friday night before I put the twins down for bed.. Gonna let it go over night, and have it ready for the afternoon for college football.

Gonna smoke some baked beans on there while the butt rests in the morning!

butt on Saturday

I like to rub my butt with some McCormicks pork seasoning and sit overnight

sauce is equal parts ketchup, apple cider vinegar and water, plus some more of that pork seasoning, brown sugar if I'm feelin' sweet, red pepper flake if I'm feelin' spicy. mix & sit overnight

couple hours in the smoker, finish in the over, foil-wrapped with a small bottle of apple juice poured in there. last hour take off the foil

used to use all hickory, but don't think it mixes well with the sauce. now using mostly cherry with just a little hickory, that's pretty effin' tasty. think I might add some apple this time

a little horseradish in the cole slaw. inglehoffer's cream style.

I have a couple racks of BBs that will be absorbing as much hickory smoke as possible tomorrow. My plans are to get the smoker rolling first thing in the morning.
Enjoy the weekend all!!

Doing ribs right now, and my dry rub didn't include either sugar or paprika. It's just salt, pepper, garlic, and onion.

I'm sure they're going to turn out tasty, but now I understand why people suggest paprika to give color. W/O this or sugar, I'm not getting a dark bark at all. Oh well, the sauce will take care of it regardless.

Anyone know if baby back ribs hit "the stall"? I'd expect it to be short if so, but these ribs aren't climbing in temp like I'd expect.

You shouldn't experience a stall with ribs. This normally happens with larger cuts of meat. I use both paprika and brown sugar in my rub. Here is the result, just about to cut them.

ForumRunner_20130928_174319.jpg

Dry rub only on the top rack...did a charsiu sauce on the bottom, which I cut to marinate in a ziplock.

I never take the temp on ribs. I check them after 5 hours, and turn one bone 90 degrees to the rack. If it pulls away at or before the 90 degree mark, it's done.

I have refined my rub over the years, I do it the same every time, but as a guideline it starts with 1/4 cup of both paprika and brown sugar and then has maybe 12 other ingredients. You should always use the brown sugar when smoking pork in my opinion. It's one if the only times you are cooking low enough to not burn the sugar. I'm doing a5lb center loin tomorrow, will post picks.

Did 12 hour smoke overnight on a butt last night. Came out delicious. The bge only needed 1.5 loads of lump for the cook. Use some large chunks of Apple and hickory in there to smoke and never added any after the initial light.

Worked out real well. Wrapped the butt up in foil and left on the egg around 1am when I was up with the lad feeding them. The fire died around 6 or 7 am from 5pm Friday night.

Going it at 11 est. It had a nice untouched fat cap, I may be able to smoke it on the longer side.

20130929_101302.jpg

I am not smoking this weekend but when I get my deer back I am going to do some smoking I think. Anyone got some tips, ideas, recipes aside from jerky? This is my first deer ever so anything as far as ideas will be greatly appreciated.

honestly.. I've never frozen ribs.. I do pulled pork all the time, but I don't boil the bags, I just put them in the fridge the day before and cook it stovetop with water, apple juice, a dash of vinegar or whatever.. Usually a dollop of butter too...

If it were me.. I would pull them a day or two before and put them in the fridge and then broil them on low, on the middle rack for 5-10 minutes. I don't like boiling stuff in that plastic for the same reason I use cvpc instead of pvc for anything food related regardless of temp... and that is for my kids! I'm way too far gone to worry about carcinogens or things that are bad for my health, that is, unless they make me gain weight..

I am not smoking this weekend but when I get my deer back I am going to do some smoking I think. Anyone got some tips, ideas, recipes aside from jerky? This is my first deer ever so anything as far as ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Wait.. what??? Deer back?? It's not even bow opener here yet..

Jealousy aside... What are you getting back? Did you save the heart? I've been eating venison for a very long time and my state has the best. I process my own, but there's a lot you can do regardless of what you get back. Post what cuts you are getting back, I can post some recipes I have.

Got a grinder? PM me for some sausage recipes.

This is my first season hunting ever so I didn't save the heart. For us in D6 bow opened up in august right about the time the RIM fire started in my back yard and rifle opened last week. I was a bit in the air on if I wanted to just have them hang it for a week and do the work myself or if I wanted help so being the first deer I decided to let the pros do it. Not to mention it was a **** shot on my part so I was scared I may have ruined the kill (gut shot about a foot behind the sweet spot). In my defense I was up all night working so I was sleepless and I had borrowed the father in laws .308 but it has ever been fired and I didn't have the time to sight it in so I ended up with my neighbors sighted 30-06 which I had never fired and really haven't fired to many rifles in my life aside from a .22. I missed the gall bladder and I had to sneak up on the deer to end it suffering with a knife because my buddy and I both didn't have a side arm and that was interesting way to get my first deer. We gutted in a hurry and I left the heart and liver this time because we had a long drag up hill and I was panicked about the gut shot and wanted to get the deer into the processor ASAP. I can still change things as it is just hanging but I took the steaks and chops option, with 50/50 ground to sausage and had 5lbs of snack sticks and 1 salami. If I had a walk-in or it wasn't 70-85F here right now I would probably been more inclined to tackle the deer myself but I just wanted to get it done. I have a small wet smoker by master forge that is the knockoff of the weber one that I use as I am in the process of planning out a smoke house of my own but as you can see I can't even find the time to sight in a rifle so the smoke house is way low on the list right now. My other option was roasts and I can get straight grind instead of the sausage but I don't have a lot of time between two kids and winter coming to make sausage. I had beef fat added to the hamburger but I am wondering if that was a wise choice as well. Let me know what you think as I can call tomorrow and change things up. Thanks in advance.

oh my god... did you say rimfire? Do you guys actually shoot deer with .22? Great story by the way. It's intense, huh... I still shed tears most times I take large game. It's pretty spiritual. We dispatched a deer by knife a few years back on an overnight kayak trip in winter. It was barely able to get across the river and had been hit by a car and three of it's legs were broken. It was crazy... And stupid, the guy I was with got his feet soaking wet and it was kind of a scary night for him.

I'll take some pictures from a great game book I have here and pm you or post here in a few.

Personally, I like to take any cut of venison and pull out the dried morels from spring and pan fry in butter, garlic, onion, and morel. But, I have some good dishes I'll post.

Oh and.. For the sausage, I wouldn't use pork, I would just get straight lard and use it to the tune of 25-30 percent. Cube maybe 1/4 of the meat and fat, grind the rest on course. You're doing fresh sausage, right?

give me a minute, I'll take pics of the recipes

Oh and, yeah.. if you have some steaks and chops these will work. I misread some of what you said making sausage.

Ok, so.. the following recipes are a few of my favorites for full cuts of venison. They are not mine, they are the famous Dixie Dave's. If you like these, or any other wild game recipes I suggest you buy his book. 180 recipes..
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OZ5HZI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Here we go, I hope you can read them ok, they seem to close up ok.

20130930_181403[1].jpg

20130930_181151[1].jpg

20130930_181255[1].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So.. as to your post about the whole doing it yourself thing.. Letting it hang and age on the bone is the best way to do it. If it's warm, you can hang it over a garbage can in a space where you can even just set a window air conditioner on the ground, if you aren't worried about water.

I always hang it in my garage, over a garbage can, and stuff full unopened bags of ice in the cavity. You may change those every day. Take the skin off and wrap it in a game bag or cover it liberally with black pepper before this. I do both, we have fall fruit flies.

Regardless, when you get those full cuts back, give them a week in the fridge, in the coldest part, before cooking unless you really like venison.

We are in the process of starting a brewery and cold storage is on the list of things to get. By next season I will have a place to hang and dry age my deer and I did some time in the UC Davis Meat Lab (basically an educational campus processing and butchering facility) so I am getting more and more confident as time progresses. I will pick that book up and thanks for the start up recipes. I am so excited. Can't wait to see what I get back.

A friend of mine is going to give me a venison back strap from his next deer. I'm going to make bresaola di cervo. I love beef bresaola so in excited to try a deer version. It's also my first go at curing, should be fun! Plus it gives me another toy to build, curing chamber.

pickles said:
A friend of mine is going to give me a venison back strap from his next deer. I'm going to make bresaola di cervo. I love beef bresaola so in excited to try a deer version. It's also my first go at curing, should be fun! Plus it gives me another toy to build, curing chamber.

I love your friends.

Apparently in Ohio you get 9 tags and he always meets his quota. He offered to give me a whole deer, but I'm not sure what i'd do with it all.

Best thing to do with backstrap is cut it in medallions and fry it. Serve with biscuits and gravy. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best

JeepDiver said:
Best thing to do with backstrap is cut it in medallions and fry it. Serve with biscuits and gravy. Sometimes the simplest dishes are the best

That sounds good too, but I really want to cure and dry age it. It's really my only reason for wanting the meat in the first place.

Latest posts

Back