Hops not there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfranzer

Reaction score
Just got done with a double ipa, The Three Floyd's dreadnaught clone in BYO. After the boil, I took a reading of 1.082, better than I expected for first all grain. When I drank the hydrometer sample, I was amazed at the lack of hops in the sample even though I calculated 107 ibu's.

Could it have been the super sweet wort overwhelming it? Will the fermentation bring out the bitterness a little more? There will also be a 7 day cascade dry hop later.

Here is recipe for 3 gallon

9 lbs - 2 row
.7 lbs - melanoidan

Mashed at 159 F

90 min boil

0.23 oz warrior @ 17.2% for 60 min
0.31 oz simcoe @ 12.7% for 60 min
0.46 oz centennial @ 8.7% for 45 min
0.46 oz centennial @ 8.7% for 30 min
0.55 oz cascade @ 7.3% for 15 min

Using London esb yeast. Wyeast 1968.

0.75 oz cascade leaf hops for 7 days dry hop after primary is over.

Like the last response said, hop bitterness is hard to gauge from a wort sample. The sweetness definitely masks the bitterness. It'll show up in your fermented beer.

Carbonation also increases perceived hop aroma.

Yup, sweetness is a natural counter to bitterness, which is why it's important to make recipes that have an appropriate FG for the IBUs.

But .7 pound of melanoidin malt in a 3 gallon batch is a LOT. That should give a ton of malt flavor. That much malt flavor may hide hops quite well. Plus, there are plenty of bittering hops in that recipe, but no aroma hops at all. That means a malty bitter beer with no hops flavor or aroma in the finish. I think the recipe is lacking if you want hops flavor and aroma.

I'm with yooper. Sounds like alot of malt sweetness..

However, I will say, if you drank a hydro sample it's going to be so cloyingly sweet that it taste like crap.

I never drink my hydro samples pre fermentation. I'll drink a post hydro sample when I take it so see what I think, but even then it's hard to tell at times once it's conditioned and carbed.

You should be able to pick up some bitterness though in your sample, but it'll be thick and sweet and to be honest.. it's nasty.

Back