Chicago Homebrewers Yeast Bank Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmason1623

Reaction score
This is a form for a brewing yeast bank collection of harvested yeast from Chicago area home brewers through homebrewtalk.com. The idea and hope is to build a bank of yeasts that home brewers can share with their fellow brewers. This sharing of yeasts not only saves money but also allows you to expand your recipes using yeast strains that are seasonal or your LHBS does not carry. People will store their own yeast and trade with each other either personally or, hopefully, in group meetings at local bars, people's houses, group buys, pow-wows, etc. This form is very much work in progress so we should all feel free to offer suggestions in improving it. Get your yeast on!

Newer YeastBank added. Please use this one instead.

http://yeast.cadwallion.com/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFBNaVUwNkJkcFk4LTFPYnFiWGVoSkE6MQ#gid=0

Yeah, I need to figure out if google forms has a feature that allows respondents to view results. Otherwise, I'll just have to post a link to the spreadsheet. Give me a day to look into it. Thanks for participating, Rich.

I have to look the rest of what I have up when I get home.

Rich, can you add the actual strain of the white labs yeast that you entered? Also, check out the for and click on the newly added link to see if it displays the results. Let me know if it works. Thanks.

It cuts off the leading zeros. Can you format the cell for white labs? WYeast wotn ahve that issue.

RC0032 said:
It cuts off the leading zeros. Can you format the cell for white labs? WYeast wotn ahve that issue.

Ah, ok. When I get back to my world headquarters I'll look into it. Thanks.

This looks like a great project. I hope I can participate once I get up to harvesting and washing my yeast instead of buying.

Uziyahu said:
This looks like a great project. I hope I can participate once I get up to harvesting and washing my yeast instead of buying.

And reducing the buying along with variety is the ultimate goal. I'll enter my yeast later on today.

This is mine and Bills thread...get out. Ok you can stay but add to the yeast bank!

OK, along with the spreadsheet link which anyone can now edit, I have added the neat (for the lack of a better word) results form that has the graphics. The link is on the form underneath the spreadsheet link. Get your yeast on!

I just want to reiterate that this project was the brain child of wernerherzog. I wish I could take credit for it but I can't. I just put the form together. I hope we're onto something here. It would be great if people started harvesting bottle dregs too. How cool would that be?

I have a bottle of Matilda for some dreg harvesting. Maybe we could hold a yeast workshop to teach washing yeast, slanting, stir plate building, etc. We could even group buy a ton of autoclavable test tubes. I always see them so much cheaper in quantities I don't need.

I'll be able to wash some bell's two hearted yeast dregs after my clone ferments. I forgot how many cells I had from three bottles, but I pitched 300 billion cells.

wegz15 said:
I'll be able to wash some bell's two hearted yeast dregs after my clone ferments. I forgot how many cells I had from three bottles, but I pitched 300 billion cells.

I want to try your BTHA clone please.

I have a bottle of Matilda for some dreg harvesting. Maybe we could hold a yeast workshop to teach washing yeast, slanting, stir plate building, etc. We could even group buy a ton of autoclavable test tubes. I always see them so much cheaper in quantities I don't need.

Great idea. Let me know when you plan it.

This is great, especially for the bottle dregs variety. I currently wash but would love an in-person best practices demo on slanting before turning it over to other people.

You would know of your slant was bad. If you only see yeast its good. You would be able to see an infection growing. So I've read. haven't had a bad one yet....knock on wood

I was thinking about putting a demo together. I was thinking of buying some bulk vials, and pre making some slants. Have everyone coming bring a different strain of yeast. Then demonstrate how to make slants and how to slant yeast. Then at the end people can take home multiple vials of new yeast. I would charge for vials and agar. I would guess under a dollar per vial.

Trying to find a source for cheap vials with screw on caps.

Anyone interested besides me? To make slants you need a pressure cook to sterilize everything.

However if there was enough interest we could meet every so often to replenish slants. It doesn't take to long. So you guys can drop them back off to me and I can remake them. Maybe.

Wyeast has ~36 ale yeasts. If 12 people were interested, you could get a slant of each for about $60 a head... tempting.

36 varieties x12 people = 432 vials (budget $1 per so $432)
36 fresh smacks x $7 = $252

That's not bad. We don't have to start with all the stains. Just whatever everyone brings. You can also make new slants from slants on hand.

**** fools like I say I'm a diagnostic supervisor in a food microbiology lab ... I have access to an autoclave instead of sterilizing at home with a pressure cooker ... I can bring all the supplies needed to slant and I can also provide slants I would be more then happy to teach aseptic technique and proper slanting ... **** is easy if you follow some simple rules as far as what I want ... Just some of the yeast and enough cash to cover supplies if you want some I can sell on the spot or pm me ... Also pm me with any questions and I'll try to get back to you in a timely fashion ... I can and would love to teach anyone how to be successful at slanting just setup a time and place ... Hopefully somewhere on the south side or northwest Indiana but I can travel too just might take a bit o planning to schedule something.

Can I just add that we are not limited to just slanting? I eventually want to learn how to slant (did you hear that professor wegz?) but in the meantime I will wash yeast. I'm thinking that we start "building" the bank with whatever form we currently use just to build up the variety of yeasts available. However, I will go along with everyone elses suggestions. Again, these are just my initial thoughts. Comments, rebuttals are always welcomed.

How many would be interested in getting culture tubes to slant? I might buy a case of 1000 plus 1000 caps. They would be no more than $0.75 a set. Don't need 1000 so if there isn't that much interest I'm not buying them.

wegz, i'll go in on this buy but for a couple dozen maybe not too many. can you send me the link to where you're thinking of buying from?

wegz15 said:
How many would be interested in getting culture tubes to slant? I might buy a case of 1000 plus 1000 caps. They would be no more than $0.75 a set. Don't need 1000 so if there isn't that much interest I'm not buying them.

A set consists of one tube and one cap? If so, then the price per 1000 would be $750.00? That seems pretty steep if that's the case.

I'm interested in learning yeast washing or slanting or both, but I wouldn't be up for buy too many supplies without understanding how both processes work and the necessary storage. Storage space is my most limiting factor as it is for many in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back