A couple of questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have several wild beers going. These are my first, and I'm trying to figure out what I can and can't do.

1) I have a couple of gallons of Flander's red sitting on fruit. Because my freezer died, I moved it on the fruit after 4 months (early). It's been on the fruit for 3 months now (in plastic), and I want to move it to a couple of glass gallon fermenters. When I rack it, it will be short of the full volume. Can I top it up with fresh wort. Any issues, what problems will I have?

2) The same Flander's red in (1) that was not on the fruit has a nice pellicle on it. It is now 7 months. I want to put a couple of gallons on fruit. Should I wait until the pellicle drops, or can I move it at anytime?

3) I have several gallons sitting on Brett. Nice pellicle. Do I have to wait for the pellicle to drop before bottling?

Topping off with fresh wort is fine, but it may extend the time the beer needs to age since you are adding additional complex sugars. Leaving a small amount of head space is not a big deal, but you could flush with CO2.

You can move a beer onto fruit at any time, I generally ignore the pellicle when making decisions about the beer (gravity and flavor are the important things to watch). What you do want to wait for, to decide whether you can bottle, is the gravity to stabilize. If the beer is only 7 months old I'd suspect you have more waiting to do.

Back