question about heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyrok

Reaction score
Hi,
I am switching to all grain finally, and was able to get a 28 qt. turkey fryer for only 20.00 from my brother in law. I will mash in a cooler, but want to boil in the fryer. My concern is when I plugged it up last night, I noticed the heating elements are actually INSIDE the bottom of the brew pot. Is this going to cause a problem with the wort, or burn the wort? Do I have anything to worry about or anything I should do to prevent scorching?

Thanks in advance!! I was encouraged to post in here where there are many electric professionals... thanks!

I'm sure some of the more experienced electric brewers can give a more definitive answer, but my response would be "it depends".

The electric brew setups around here has a submersed element and produce some great results, but it depends on the element itself. Some have reported scorching with HWD (high watt density) element, but many use them without issue. If the element in the frier has an extremely high watt density, it could cause problems.

A quick test would be to boil a 1.040(ish) sugar water mixture in the pot and see if there is any discoloration/off tastes.

Like I said, there's probably a much better answer, but that's my first take on it.

Whats your control over the element? I use a PID controller from ebay. Fairly inexpensive solution (around $40). I am using a heater tube in my RIMS. I still get scorched wort if I try to increase the temp too fast. What is the size and voltage of the element?

Some have reported scorching with HWD (high watt density) element, but many use them without issue. If the element in the frier has an extremely high watt density, it could cause problems.

This would be my concern. I have low watt density heating elements in my HLT and boil kettle. I would switch out the element for a low density and also look into temperature control with a PID/RTD.

Brew Strong, my friends!

Pics? Make and model of the turkey fryer? Have you attempted to boil water with it yet?

Yes, That is a great idea. Iwill take some pics tonight, post them with the make and model. I am not sure right now of the wattage etc. I do know it has a timer (which I will not use) and also a temperature setting and some kind of protective feature. I know with the timer and the temp control, that I will not be able to leave this unattended bduring the boil. Thanks SO much for everyone's input. This is a great start!

I will boil water tonight, 6-6.5 gallons and stop by to get enough sugar to get the gravity up to around 1.07 unless that is not a good suggestion. The extract kits I have done in the past, and the gravity I would plan to do with all grain would go into the 1.060-1.070 SG. I would even like to go a little higher with gravity for DIPA's and High Gravity stouts (with lactic sugar). I bet I am starting to push it..LOL

I was encouraged to post in here where there are many electric professionals...

Really?! The Electric section was created by HBT to send all the riff-raff, skaliwags, un-washed, and general outcasts that lurk around the site at night.
:rolleyes:
Think of this section as, "the land of the misfit toys."

actually it kind of looks more like this, but when I get home I am going to confirm
http://www.turkey-fryers.com/etfv_turkey_fryer_kits.htm
if it does have an aluminum pan, then that "might" be an issue also.
Again, thanks for everyone's input, it is invaluable and I wish I could give all the pics, specs etc right now. I need to do it when I get home.. .
thanks! check back in a little while.

Well all, this is a Charmglow 28qt electric turkey fryer from Home Depot. It is made by masterbuilt. Some came with a spigot and some didn't. I cannot find the manual, but the heating elements lift right out and there is a tag on it that reads 13.75 amps, 60Hz 120VAC, 1650W. It looks exactly like this one, which is a masterbuilt http://www.turkey-fryers.com/etfv_turkey_fryer_kits.htm but mine does not have the spigot. It is basically the same as the Turf N' Surf Electric Turkey Fryer by masterbuilt, just under a different name. I am guessing a flash in the pan attempt at a new line and sent to Home Depot. From what I read somewhere else 1650W is not that much, but I don't know. Question is will it boil 6.5 gallons of water, and if so will it burn the wort. - I guess what I could do is use this to keep my sparge water at the correct temp for mashing, then my buddy is going to sell me a 9 gallon pot. I have a propane buner that came off of a side burner of a grill, but I am not sure if that has enough BTU's to boil 6.5 gallons fast enough. I guess that would be the plan. Use this for sparge water, and possibly buy a new burner to boil in the 9 gallon SS pot. Also this turkey fryer has a SS coil, but the tub is actually aluminum.

what are your thoughts now?

@1650W you're not pushing a whole lot of power. Enough to hold a mash at temp or maybe even heat your strike water within a reasonable time frame but probably not enough to really boil with. Now, if you used a 1500W heatstick in conjunction with that I think you would be just fine.

For a bit of comparison, I can just barely hold a boil with a 2000W element in 6.5 gallons of wort.

yeah, thanks for the feedback man, I think I will use it for my mash water, then after I put in the right amount of mash water, then I will use it to get my sparge water ready.. now i just have to find a great propane burner. thanks to everyone!

yeah, thanks for the feedback man, I think I will use it for my mash water, then after I put in the right amount of mash water, then I will use it to get my sparge water ready.. now i just have to find a great propane burner. thanks to everyone!

Just so you can plan, if your tap water is 55F it will take around 55mins to get your strike water up to 170F.

Back