Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty67

Reaction score
so my local guy was out of the wyeast 3056 bavarian wheat yeast and suggested i went with this instead.

YEAST STRAIN: 3068 | Weihenstephan Weizen™
Back to Yeast Strain List

The classic and most popular German wheat beer strain used worldwide. This yeast strain produces a beautiful and delicate balance of banana esters and clove phenolics. The balance can be manipulated towards ester production through increasing the fermentation temperature, increasing the wort density, and decreasing the pitch rate. Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived. Sulfur is commonly produced, but will dissipate with conditioning. This strain is very powdery and will remain in suspension for an extended amount of time following attenuation. This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

Origin:
Flocculation: low
Attenuation: 73-77%
Temperature Range: 64-75° F (18-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

A few things have me concerned. The sulfer bit. how long would you let it sit before bottling to help with this or am i just looking at bottle conditioning for an extended period of time. This was supposed to be an earlier drinker and I was going to put half the batch in the pig keg, but I'm wondering if i shouldn't just bottle the whole bit and plan on it being a longer conditioning time.

The next thing is the 33percent head space. I've always just used my 6 gallon ale bucket with tight lid and air lock and the only time i had a problem was when i blew the top off cause i didn't realize i was brewing with lager yeast and i forgot to get it in the basement in the middle of summer. Doh! (it was one of my first beers...) should i be worried about this. if i am brewing at a lower temp?

I've used this yeast before to make a hefeweizen and never had any problems with headspace in a similar bucket, just use a blowoff tube if you are concerned. As far as the sulfur is concerned, I guess it depends a little bit on what you are making, but the hefe was one of my first AG batches and I know I didn't let it sit that long in the fermentor, 2 weeks max then 2 weeks in the bottle before I was drinking it and thought it tasted just fine.

I just bottled my first batch with 3068 and let me tell you it fermented like a grenade. without a starter, I was blowing out the airlock within 12 hours in a 5gallon carboy. it did make it easy to harvest yeast though....

I will be using a blowoff tube next time for sure. I haven't got into the beer yet but no sulfur in fermentation.

I, too, just bottled my first batch of 3068. I made a starter, and the airlock was going nuts the morning I woke up, and then when I came home later that day, there was yeast coming through my airlock, so +1 on the blowoff tube. It also reeked of sulfur.

I fermented for just short of 2 weeks, and I will be sure to let you know how the beer turned out after 2 weeks in the bottle.

1. Don't worry about the sulfur smell thing, it goes away with bottle conditioning
2. If you don't have a lot of headspace you will need to use a blowoff tube. I did my first batch with 3068 and bottled it last week after two weeks in the primary. I have a fermenter with tons of headspace, it's the Coopers plastic fermenter which is about 7.5 -8 gallons in actual total size. The krausen went up to the lid and left some yeast crud there but nothing blew up through the airlock since I had so much space.
3. It's a hefeweizen, I wouldn't let it sit too long in the primary anyway. As mentioned I bottled after two weeks, had hit my expected FG and even tasted one after only 5 days in the bottle. I tasted one so early because when I opened my fermenter to bottle I had a sour smell and I wanted to know if it would carry over to the bottles. Even with only 5 days in the bottle it was quite carbed up, I'm thinking cause the yeast is so aggressive it worked quickly on the priming sugar. Tasted great and far less sour smell, so it's dissipating for sure. Can't wait to see what it's like after 2-3 weeks in the bottle.

Rev.

Well, got everything brewed up yesterday and looked at my brew bucket. Even if i had wanted to use a blow off tube on that i wouldn't know how to set one up. But it looks like i've got another 20-25 percent space for fermentation so I'm gonna go with it. not the first wheat i've ever done but we'll see, hopefully no over flow with this yeast.

Came down this morning and it's slowly bubbling through the air lock. I'm hoping that by keeping it down in 60 degree ambiant that the yeast stays a little slower than it could be and doesn't go crazy.

i needed to read this thread earlier... i just used a similar yeast (3644, belgain wit) on saturday and i left the recommended headspace in primary... it literally blew the top off last night. i have crap on my ceiling (seriously).

i didn't lose any volume of brew, so i cleaned the top, replaced the airlock and recapped it; started popping immediately. those wit yeasts are insane. i now know better and will use a blowoff tube in lieu of an airlock in the future.

This is a great yeast. The sulfur is not an issue. Allow two weeks in the fermenter (primary only or use a secondary, whatever).

They are not joking about the temperature sensitivity. This yeast is the poster child for temperature control. Get the ambient up to 70º and prepare for banan and bubblegum flavor to overpower everything in the beer. Yikes! My sweet spot for traditional Hefes is 65-67º. You will get a nice clove note and just a bit of banana.

So we are at the 48th hour since pitching the yeast, the ambiant temp of 60 (assuming that the cheap thermometer in the basement isn't totally incorrect) has not changed. The little quick read sticker type themometer on the side of the brew bucket says 64-66 so I'm assuming it's actually about 65-67 in the wort.

No fermentation explosions and honestly i was expecting this to be more active. It was bubbling right along 24 hours after pitching but now it has slowed down considerably. I know the lower temp has had something to do with keeping the fermentation from being super active. but two days to burn through most the sugars and slow down? I guess it's possible since I've had buckets ferment out in 4 days to the correct sg so i guess this could be one of those.

I'll leave it alone for the next two weeks, that was the original plan anyway, and check the sg then.

I love hefe's, brew them often - have brewed 3 (well, one is a dunkel) recently - all w/ this yeast.
I fermented them all in the low 60's and never had an issue w/ blowoff, sulfur or anything like that. Like others have said, temp is a huge factor with this yeast - both in the intesnity of the fermentation and in the resulting flavors.

Ok, been reading some other threads along with this one. Is two weeks long enough? I'm not worried about it reaching fg in two weeks, i'm sure it's probably close to that already if not there. As i stated i was going to let it go for at least two weeks before bottling it. but even a wheat needs a little time to condition. would 3 weeks or a month be better for this yeast and give it some time to drop sediment and for the yeast to fall out before opening up the primary and bottling?

Yeah, 2 weeks is usually more than enough with this yeast. And as others have said this yeast really is the perfect example of a yeast that needs temp control.

I'm not sure I like this yeast. Four weeks in the primary and it still smells of sulfur. There must be a cloud of hydrogen sulfide floating on top of the bucket or something, because when I leaned in to smell it I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I fermented cold, at about 64.

I'm not sure I like this yeast. Four weeks in the primary and it still smells of sulfur. There must be a cloud of hydrogen sulfide floating on top of the bucket or something, because when I leaned in to smell it I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I fermented cold, at about 64.

That's a good temp for a low-banana hefe. Bottle and don't worry.

Four wheats and a saison. The wheats all blew off. 2 were on 3068, 2 were S-04.
Blowoff_City.JPG

I only pitched the amount in the pack, it was one of the smack packs that wyeast makes. Honestly I've never pitched more than what came in the pack or when i was doing kits what came in the dry packet and i just dumped that straight in dry.

I know it's not necessarily good practice but i've never had a problems with it. I've been brewing for like 5 or 6 years but it's been so off and on I still consider myself pretty much new at this hobby. Haven't quite gotten into the finer art of yeast management and control yet. Sooner or later it will happen though i think.

Ok, still have a week and a half to go before i can bottle this one. Forgot what it is like to have to wait, and then wait for bottle condition, then start another cause you know that one brew is not going to last. I think i'm gonna have to pick up a few sixers to tide me over. I'll let everyone know how this turned out. thanks for all the replys.

Monty... I just brewed with this yeast on Friday (same pitch rate => activator pack) and am basically seeing everything you are. The sulfur smell made me think I had some sort of mold in my house at first until I realized that it was the fermenter. I used a blow off tube and got a mild fermentation as well... already slowed down to about 1 bubble every 20 seconds. I keep my AC on for about 67 degrees (the wife just has to suffer through it) so I was surprised. Anyways, let me know what your FG ends up being... I'll assume if you make target then I will too since everything seems about the same.

So even after four weeks and a little bit of primary swishing to try and get the fermentation going a little more I ended up with an FG of about 1.019. A little upset about that. The temps were right on lower sixties and they stayed constant for the whole month.

As for the flavor it is a bit heavier in flavors than when i've used the Bavarian style yeast to make this recipie as an extract only brew. This is basically a Pauliner clone and for me is usually a lighter style german wheat. This 3068 yeast turned it up to the heavier style wheat profiles i've had in some of the bigger german wheats. Something that i was trying to avoid as I'm not a huge fan of the big malty clovy wheats. Doh!

BUT, I will say that this has got to be one of the better beers I've done. I think a lot had to do with the extended primary aging, though i would have liked to have gotten it off at 3 weeks. Also the fermentation temps were probably the most consistent I've had them. The other thing was this was my first partial mash. We'll see how the final brew comes out after they've carbed up and chilled in the fridge for a few days. If it turns out as good as I hope then i might just be a convert to doing minimashes for all my beers.

Will follow up with the actual beer in a few weeks.

Monty, I ended up with about 13-14ish after 2 weeks. I'm wondering if you maybe just got a bad batch or mashed in to hot. I did end up with sulfur hanging around still, probably had to do with small temp swings during fermentation.

I definitely am going to try another hefe with this yeast but will make a starter. Now I have a fermentation chamber with temp control also so I think those 2 things will keep the sulfur down. I think I'm gonna ferment right around 66 or 67 next time. That seems to be the sweet spot for this yeast based on what I've read. I'll also keep it in a secondary fermentor until the sulfur disappears completely.

My current batch is drinkable, but i think with these improvements, the beer could come out really nice.

This 3068 yeast turned it up to the heavier style wheat profiles i've had in some of the bigger german wheats. Something that i was trying to avoid as I'm not a huge fan of the big malty clovy wheats.

Yeah, I would say if you try this guy out again, ferment a little warmer like greatschmaltez mentioned. I just got finished drinking a dunkelweisse I brewed with this one and actually wanted the heavier flavors like you got, but they weren't nearly as strong as I was aiming for. That time I pitched a "correct" sized starter and fermented at around 65, and while the flavors are there they are kind of hidden. Since that sounds like what you're looking for, I'd give that a shot! Plus, with that yeast I feel like you need some of the banana flavors that you get at the slightly higher temps to balance out the clove.

Next time I'm thinking I'll pitch about a half-size starter (or less) and ferment either a little warmer (68-70) or lower (60-62) and see how it turns out, but it sounds like I prefer my hefes, the opposite of you :)

I only use this yeast when brewing a traditional Heff. use a 7 gallon carboy or 14 gallon fermentor depending on batch size. Occasionally have to use a overflow tube. I usually ferment at 70-72 degress for 6-7 days before transfering or dumping the yeast bed. Fermentation last 5 days. Have never had sulfur issues, although during most active fermentation period (2-3 days) there is a bit of sulfur smell. I find that at 70-72 degrees with a total of 12 days in the fermenter creates a great ballance of clove and banana with a slight spice. Every time I brew my favorit Heff recipe with this yeast the beer seems to dissapear very quickly

I wish I would have read this a few days ago. My stirplate setup was occupied for a 1968 starter, so I decided to pitch this into a dunkel using only the smack pack. I figured because it was on the lower end of the optimal cell count (~100 bil) that I could get away with a loosely fitting blow off rig. I got home from work and had quite a mess to clean up.

I've been brewing for 4 years, and this is my first "messy" blow off mess.

Can I expect under attenuation due to the loss of yeast from my bucket into the blow off vessel?

You'll be fine on the attenuation, you should use a starter with this yeast in the future, even for lower gravity beers. Also temp control is a must on this one. To low of a pitching rate/high temperatures can result in some sour/sulfur tastes and smells.

@greatscmaltez Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. Its crazy how I almost feel "guilty" pitching without a starter, but hey, I'll just have to plan my brew schedules better in the future.

This is sitting at a solid 68, and I'm planning on letting it sit for 15 days before racking to a keg.

I am a little confused and can't seem to dig up any good info - so why not give life to this thread :)

Both Wyeast 3068 and Fermentis 34/70 are "Weihenstephan" strain as marketed, but 3068 is an ale, while 34/70 is a lager. How can the same strain be classified two ways? Am I missing something?

I have used 34/70 before at lager temps (53F), but if they are both technically the same strain, then just adjusting temperature would make the difference?

Many thanks,
Justin

Since I created this post I have brewed hundreds of batches so it's funny to see my noob session from so long ago. 3068 is an ale yeast. I love this yeast and to ferment it around 67. To answer my own original noob concerns, you should make a starter if you have the means. This yeast makes a money hefe if you allow it to work for about 3-3.5 weeks.

I've also actually been to Weihenstephaner since I've posted this and it's worth the trip. The beer definitely tastes better there. But honestly, if you're in Munich, Ayinger should be your number 1, followed closely by Augustiner.

Great post. I'm gonna bring it back to life again! I plan to brew with this yeast in a few weeks, to make a real German Hefe for a good friend who loves Ayinger. (but don't we all hate the cost!) So the original post warns against over pitching, but there are other recommendations to make a starter. I've haven't done so yet - been happy so far with hydrated dry yeast. But since this is a smack pack, I'm going to give it a try. But I'll just pitch straight from the package. Given that scenario, what's the best advice on fermentation temperature, and time to leave it in primary? With a flavor profile close to Ayinger as the goal.

So brewed a hefe 2.5 weeks ago. Here is set up. I hit all my numbers. Mash temp was 152 I hung around 151-152 for the entire mash. Mashed out and hit OG on the nose after fly sparge and boil. Used a 1liter starter decanted and pitched slurry. Fermenters at 64* and it finished in about 6 days. Cold crashed at 2 weeks fermentation and racked 2 days later to keg. This morning. My FG was 1.010 which is on the money. But it had a very soapy flavor, which I know can be from
Auto lysis of the yeast. But can it happen it that quickly? Or will this mellow out. There was no banana clove or spice flavor that I could tell. It actually was very bland.

I've got a Weizen using this yeast sitting in the fermentation bucket right now. As I didn't have temp control at the time, this yeast was churning away for about 48 hours at 73-75F. (23-24C) until it just stopped.

Smelled pretty strongly of sulfur so I'm gonna let it sit for a bit longer. Hopefully the smell won't linger.

10gallons of distilled water in recipe. No mention of minerals.
Autolysis is not in play here.

What is possibly a factor related to the bland flavor is the complete absence of any minerals in the water. This is analogous to cooking without any seasoning or salt. Bland food results.

Minerals in the brewing water are required for a variety of reasons but getting a good tasting beer is chief among them.

Also Distilled water is about 3 times as expensive as RO water. RO water is just as good as distilled for building from a blank slate. Minerals are needed though. That's very important.

Latest posts

Back