Recipe critique - Spicy BBQ beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yuval

Reaction score
It's a little out there, did anyone attempted something similar? i think i'll brew it soon so tell me what you think:
Batch: 25 liter.
grains:
5 kg German Rauch Smoked
350 gr peated malt
700 gr rye malt
350 gr chocolate malt
350 gr Melanoiden Malt or honey malt

mash it for 90 min. at 155 degrees.
boil for 90 min.

Hops(i want hops that have that woody, spicey, earthy quallities):
60 mins 15 gr Nugget
25 mins 30 gr Northern Brewer
10 mins 30 gr spalt select
1 min 15 gr fuggles
Dry hop it with the remaining 15 gr of nugget and 15 gr of fuggles.

Are those the right hops for the character i'm searching?

Yeast: Safbrew T-58 (i'm looking again for the spicy maybe a little phenolic character)
Primery 7 days at 73 degrees

I'm adding to secondery quite a lot of things:
spices:
1 tbs coarsely crushed cumin seeds
1 tbs coarsely crushed Coriander Seeds
1 tbs coarsely crushed musterd seeds
1 tbs coarsely crushed allspice
1 tbs coarsely crushed black pepercorn
1 tbs fresh thyme leaves
1 fresh fine chopped chilli pepper
and
Hickory wood chips for smoking meat soaked in 200 ml jack daniels(+ adding the spices in for the mix for sanitation)
250 Ml maple syrup

Leave it there for 3 weeks and bottle it for 2 weeks.

Is it too Much? or it just might work?

You'll get all the help you need with the grain bill, but when it comes to doing something this crazy you're just gonna have to DO IT!

I agree that you want to cut back significantly on the rauch malt, and I'd say leave out the peated malt. I don't think the peated flavor translates to BBQ.

I'm just going to predict that you never make this beer... I'm partly saying this to spur you on and prove me wrong!:D

Funny, I'm brewing right now what I'm calling a BBQ Yalla Geno IPA. Thought of the idea this morning to try something diffferent. I love smoky'ness and spiciness. Of course, the LHBS was out of smoked malts so I'll decide later (in the secondary) if I want to add liquid smoke for the "BBQ" part of the beer.

I'll cut down the malt bill a bit but still it's 75% smoked malt, shlenkerla the best example of the style contains 100% smoked malt and it's works out great.

Regarding the spices, is it too much quantity wise?
and the hops, are there any other hops that are of woody spicy earthy nature?

Okay, go for it. I admire your adventurous spirit. ;)

Fuggles is the earthiest hop that I know of, so I think you're going the right direction with the hops. As far as spices go, I've used coriander, but not the other ones. Your coriander looks fine, though I used more than that in my white.

Back