ordered wrong crystal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullstop22

Reaction score
I will be brewing an extract with grain amber clone. The recipe called for crystal malt (80 L) . I goofed the order and have something way off,but I picked up some (90L) at lhbs, how much differance will it make in the taste. I was thinking of replacing about 10% with pale ale malt. the grains are 1lb. munich- 0.5lb crystal(80L)-0.5lb caraplis. Any thoughts besides dumb guy ordering ?!

Don't worry too much. If you're worried just reduce a little and compensate with other grains.

Colour is not an exact science it depends on all sorts of things.

I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference in taste. Now if you were using 120 instead of 40, you'd notice. I don't think a 10L difference in crystal would be that apparent unless you have one sophisticated beer palate. Then again, I've never tried 2 batches with that change side-by-side. My goal is to have enough space to brew two 5 gallon batches of beer with differences such as this just to see what subtle changes are perceptable.

You may have to do many.. many ...many .....comparisons to notice the differences What were we comparing? THanks for the replies.

Back