Bulk Malt in Denver?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have met CMC before in the parking lot in the area outside the food court.

We could all meet up at the Champps Sports Bar before hand. They actually have a half way decent selection of brews there.

Champps Sports bar is located at 8325 Park Meadows Center Dr, near the Red Robin

[ame]http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=8325+Park+Meadows+Center+Drive+Denver,+CO+80124&sll=39.730466,-104.984839&sspn=0.008614,0.020084&ie=UTF8&ll=39.565421,-104.873729&spn=0.008635,0.020084&z=16&om=1[/ame]

I took the day off work as well have a stop to make at The Hut for some additional supplies and one other stop up around 104th, I can prolly be at champs around 2ish. I'll be in a big black jeep wearing a Saints hat.

I will plan to meet you guys outside the food court at 3:00 pm. I will be in a silver FJ cruiser or a maroon chevy truck. I will send you guys a pm to exchange cell phone numbers just in case. I will skip the bar since I will be leaving work early.

I'm working Tuesday, so Champps isn't going to work for me. I'm hoping to get down to the mall a little before 3p - what does Jason drive? I figure he may have the biggest vehicle and the easiest to spot. I'll be in a green Subaru Outback Sport.

Jason says he wants to meet at the "normal" place, I guess that is by the food court? I responded to his email to make sure. Also, he has added $30 of CO state sales tax as well. So we need to have ~$1,005 cash tomorrow at delivery.

Jason says he wants to meet at the "normal" place, I guess that is by the food court? I responded to his email to make sure. Also, he has added $30 of CO state sales tax as well. So we need to have ~$1,005 cash tomorrow at delivery.

The $30 tax puts the whole order at .67#

Here's the updated tally

Tally Final: UPDATED!!!
South Denver - (Park Meadows)
Grimtas - 200 - Confirmed 1Dec - $130 $134.00
DurangoHomeBrew - 150 - Confirmed 1Dec - $97.50 $100.50
Wayne1 - 100 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $65 $67.00
Nicknunns - 100 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $65 $67.00
Buffman - 50 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $32.50 $33.50
Ridebreck - 50 - Confirmed - Grim will pick up - $32.50 $33.50

Boulder Group Picked up by Labrat at Park Meadows & distribute @ Boulder Target
Jarrman - 200 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $130 $134.00
ColoradoXJ13 - 200 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $130 $134.00
Labrat - 150 - Confirmed 1 Dec - $97.50 $100.50

Musketear - 100 - Milled - Confirmed - Jarrman will deliver in WP/Copper - $65 $67.00
Risk - 200 - Milled - Confirmed - Wayne1 pickup - $130 $134.00

Total 1500 1200 UnMilled / 300 Milled $1005.00

risk stopped by this morning to give me his funds. He is not sure he will be able to make the pick-up. I should be able to get there around 2:30.

No problem for me with sales tax. I believe that is 3%.

I won't be there tomorrow, but thanks to all who helped organized this! It will be great to use a local product. In honor of the new malt, I think the first batch will be a nice PA to see what it has to offer.

OK the Saint's game is over so updating again.

I've sent PM's with the new prices incl taxes to all involved with the only exception being ridebreck (Mailbox full), as I'm picking his up all should have the updated prices for tommorow.

Geaux Saints 11-0 and counting ;)

The difference here Beermaker is this is not standard 2-row. This is Colorado Grown and Colorado Malted 2-row and the whole point of this thread is for a group buy. Thank you for your off-topic input.
Wow, what a smart ass....you can get the brewery to do the order for you. They can order any grain you want. If you get in good with a brewery, take your group order to them and they will order your group order for you. Then when it is delivered with their stuff you pick it up and didvide it then. So much for being helpful with my OFF TOPIC INPUT.

OK the Saint's game is over so updating again.

I've sent PM's with the new prices incl taxes to all involved with the only exception being ridebreck (Mailbox full), as I'm picking his up all should have the updated prices for tommorow.

Geaux Saints 11-0 and counting ;)

Troy, I saw the post with the updated pricing, so it's all good. I'll be sure to clean out that inbox. Thanks again.

Beermaker, you have a good idea and there may very well be a group buy like this in the future, but with this particular maltster there is no need to go through a brewery. They will sell direct to local homebrewers without the need for any of us to spend a bunch of time trying to cozy up to someone in a brewery.

Well my trip to 104th didn't pan out. Was planning on meeting a guy that had two 5# C02 tanks he was selling for $20/ea. He couldn't wait a week so they are sold. Bummer. The trip to the hut is done am I'm early so I guess I'm having lunch at champs.

Thanks again for putting this together.

I would be interested in another group buy in a few months. Maybe by then Jason will have the crystal, cara-malts and wheat malts available.

Thanks for all the organizing efforts. I appreciate it. Now, let's see how this stuff brews up... .

There was one hickup on the milled malt. Jason from CMC knew the order but forgot to bring the milled. He did provide an extra sack for each of the milled orders to make up for his mistake. Thanks to all for showing up on time it made the transaction very smooth.

Risk, Musketear, hopefully we can help you guys/gals out in getting your malt milled.

Thanks again for getting this all coordinated.
I emptied the bags into storage bins and couldn't resist munching on a couple of grains. Tastes great! Very much looking forward to brewing with this stuff!

I liked Grim's idea of making a blonde (or pils) out of this malt so you can truly taste this grain only, without anything covering it up.

Jason (CMC guy) did mention that they were in the very early stages of planning a homebrewer gathering at their place in Alamosa at some point (2010?)...soooo.......

I am back at home after handing off ColoradoXJ13's 200# and Jarrman's 200# plus Musketear's 100# +50.

I think the extra bag would cover the cost of a low end Corona style mill. I personally used one for about 10 years with good results.

Thanks again for putting together the bulk buy. I think it went very well. I am anxious to hear about your results. Tasting would be preferred!

I'm meeting Troy tomorrow to pick up and pay for my sack. Great timing, as I just got the UPS tracking info for my order of hops that should arrive Friday. I'm planning to brew an APA with this malt. Very much looking forward to it.

Labrat,
Thanks again for taking care of our Boulder friends. I still use my Corona mill with a fine crush I'm averaging in the low 90% eff ratings. I think the Corona's work good enough to not warrant a barley crusher anytime in the near future, well at least until I figure out my bulk grain storage then I may upgrade to a bench mounted motor driven unit. My current plans are to purchase most of my supplies once or twice a year to save on all the bi-weekly trips to Denver for more supplies. I rarely leave the LHBS under $200 and I always pick up a few extra bits a pieces, most of which I don't really need, just can't help it ;)

I liked Grim's idea of making a blonde (or pils) out of this malt so you can truly taste this grain only, without anything covering it up.

Jason (CMC guy) did mention that they were in the very early stages of planning a homebrewer gathering at their place in Alamosa at some point (2010?)...soooo.......

I'm not in on the GB, but am a satisfied CMC customer.

I have a cream ale with CMC 2-row, polenta, and rice in the final post-fining clearing stage now. I'll try to remember to bump this thread with my results.

I've done several batches with CMC 2-row now, and I'm very happy with the final product.

I've made roughly 14 batches since May using CMC malt as my base. In my opinion it is the perfect base malt. It provides a very neutral background for you to modify with specialty malts.

If you would care to, it would make a very light, clear pale ale or lager.

Here is a shot of a blonde ale I made with the CMC malt.

Blonde_Ale.JPG

That was made with 95% CMC malt and 5% Melanoiden malt.

I have mostly made American Pale Ales and IPAs with it. I have ventured far enough outside that standard to have made a couple of brown ales and even a Cherry Wheat.

Risk came by this evening to pick up his 200 lbs. He had no problem with getting whole kernel instead of milled. I have offered the use of my motorized two roller mill whenever he wants to brew. He also seemed to enjoy the Autumn Ale I made with the CMC malt. This was an Octoberfest style made with Nottingham yeast.

I am currently enjoying a Two-Hearted Ale clone made with the CMC malt.

I look forward to everyone else's thoughts as they brew with this malt.

I've already brewed several beers with it, although most had varying degrees of either roasted/specialty malts, or flavorful yeast. The CMC 2-row has been fine in those beers.
Incidentally, I've stored crushed malt, double-bagged and in a rubbermaid in my garage for several months with no oxidation or other off-flavors I could detect. I credit our dry CO climate for the good storage.

Time to get a mill.

darn i missed it i was hoping to grab a bag because my parents live 20 min from cmc and i just aquired a mill last weekend but didnt see the thread till today

I'm trying to decide on a style to feature the malt over hops (most of my brews are the reverse). I'm thinking maybe a California Common or amber. Thoughts?

I made a 5 gallon batch of blonde yesterday with Cascades @ 60 and 30....I'm looking forward to trying the final product.

I will probably be in for another grain order in Mid April......

by mid apr I'll be well through this order. I'm game for helping with another group buy. still haven't brewed a batch yet my Jeep broke down Fri morning fortunatly it was only .02 worth of glue on a cam shaft sensor (Replaced for $45) and not the PCM which would have cost $850 and canclelled xmas.

Planning on brewing a double batch this coming weekend. A blonde and ?? what ever my stores are low on I guess.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a Barley Crusher along with my specialty malts for my first brew with this CMC 2-row. I'm going to do a late-hopped version of Ed's Haus Pale, then a Black Butte Porter clone over Christmas. I've got two kegs arriving soon that need to be filled.:mug: Good times.

Back