power brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmeup

Reaction score
10 # dme
5 # honey
2 # munich
1 # aromatic
1/2 # carapils
2 oz simcoe
2 oz glacier
1 oz centennial
1 oz vanguard
1 oz crystal
1 oz hallertau
will dry hop 2 oz simcoe in secondary
wyeast 1056 in 1/2 gal starter with 1 # dme
the og of this brew is 1.150
I have never brewed at this high of a gravity any one have a suggestion for another yeast when the 1056 dies out from the alcohol. i don't really want to use champagne yeast

I think you'll want a (much)bigger starter than what you have planned. I'm not sure what you're looking to make here. Not to be rude, but without some background information it kinda looks like you want to throw a bunch of $hit into the kettle and hope for something high ABV. I guess I'd need to see a schedule for the hops to judge further. Ten ounces won't stand up to all of the sugar. Forty percent+ of honey is putting it in braggot territory. The suggestion by Arkodor for yeast is about the only one that will get after something this big and still make it "beer-like".

Dude, I hate to say this.

You need about 485 BILLION yeast cells for this brew. Not to mention the 1056 will crap out pretty early on.

But your starter will have to be 1.65 GALLONS if you use a liquid starter. Better start on that starter.

Or you can pitch about (3) 11oz packets of dry yeast, if you can find one capable of handling about 20% alc.

How much research have you done on brewing big beers? As the gravity gets higher the level of preparation, attention to detail and care for your yeast grows dramatically. A 1.040 OG is similar to the level of upkeep an overweight couch potato requires to sustain his lifestyle; a 1.150 OG would then be similar to the level of upkeep an NFL pro bowler requires to sustain his high performing lifestyle…Y.A.P.T. I’m not trying to discourage you, just do a little home work.

Most flavor comes from the first yeast. Nothing wrong with 1118, it's commonly used by breweries to finish fermentation of barley wines and other high grav brews. (EDIT: You pitch the EC1118 after first yeast craps out)

Might also want to add some yeast nutrient, possibly some zinc (servomyces) and oxygenate the hell out of it.

Also give Danstar's Technical Library a read. http://www.danstaryeast.com/library/

Honestly, I don't see Wyeast 1056 surviving in an environment above say 9% ABV. That means you'll likely wind up with a stuck fermentation at a very high SG, meaning a sickly sweet brew. I can't see Wyeast 1056 being a good choice for this beer, regardless of the large starter.

Also, the fact that the recipe just calls for DME, not Extra Pale DME, Amber DME, Dark DME, etc... combined with the scattered hop styles and no hop schedule whatsoever, indicates to me that this is a "just throw a bunch of stuff into the kettle and see what happens," kind of brew.

Sorry to be so negative, but this looks like a huge waste of time and money to me. 10 oz of hops? Man, that's not going to be cheap. :drunk:

Edited: Sorry, I missed the question about what to do when the 1056 craps out. My mistake.

Back