what temp for fementation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadaBrews

Reaction score
I just started last night and my brew is now in the primary with the yeast at 71 degrees F. What is the best temp for the primary for the best fermentation BTw its nut brown ale.
thanks

CanadaBrews said:
I just started last night and my brew is now in the primary with the yeast at 71 degrees F. What is the best temp for the primary for the best fermentation BTw its nut brown ale.
thanks

You are right on target. The specific yeast used will have an optimal range for fermentation. As a rule of thumb, 68°F +/- 4° is good for ales.

when should i start to notice some action, i pitched last night at 10:00.
thanks I just hope my yeast is good.

CanadaBrews said:
when should i start to notice some action, i pitched last night at 10:00.
thanks I just hope my yeast is good.

I can take up to 48 hours (or more) for fermentation to start. I wouldn't get nervous about it until tomorrow morning.

Did you use dry yeast?

-walker

yeah i used the dry yeast that came with the malt-extract kit. Black rock nut brown ale.
What should i see anyway? just like allot of bubbles on the surface?

CanadaBrews said:
yeah i used the dry yeast that came with the malt-extract kit. Black rock nut brown ale.

Dry yeast usually starts up pretty quickly, but there are no rules carved in stone.

Next time, you might want to try 'proofing' the yeast to make sure it's active.

Check out www.howtobrew.com

CanadaBrews said:
What should i see anyway? just like allot of bubbles on the surface?
Sometimes the yeast that comes in the lid with the extract aren't very fresh. Next time buy a separate package of dried yeast from your LHBS. The yeast should be fresher as well as been refrigerated.

The first thing you should see is bubbling in your air lock.

Back