Oster Kegerator Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctaylor73

Reaction score
I recently converted the Oster 5.0 kegerator via "Slipgates" instructions, fan and all and I cant get the internal temperature(with one half-full Cornie inside for 5 days) to drop below 45°. Any suggestions? Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Let me also say that until just recently it was cooling to 34°. The only thing different was I had to adjust a wire in the door sensor, light and thermostat housing. The wire is not associated with the thermostat. The odd thing is that the compressor shuts off for periods of time as if it has reached its optimal temperature, but 45° at its coldest setting is an error. Anyone know about the thermostats in the Oster mini-fridges?

I'm thinking (hoping) it's just location. Did you just move the housing up like most of the conversions I've seen have done? Maybe go with the bottle and cold pack gel immersion method to get more accurate temp readings..

Love/Ranco unit the other option...

Yes I did move it up closer to the top of the mini-fridge, but wouldn't you think that would make the internal temperature a little colder seeing as how its thermostat is a tad higher and warm air rises? This is the picture of the moved thermostat. Will a Ranco or Love work on a Oster 5.0 Compact Refrigerator?

http://imagehost.calabro.us/images/beer/Oster/oster59.JPG

Correct, higher is better on the location for your thermostat. Have you test the temp in different locations? It could be poor air circulation.

Yes, a controller would work. It would bypass your thermostat for the most part. You could set it up with temp probe and based on your setting would control your compressor.

The external thermostat might be my only hope because the Oster thermostat is at the top of the fridge. It is as high as it can go. I turned the tower fan off to see if that has anything to do with it. Which Ranco or Love temperature controller do you recommend?

Back