Edworts Apfelwein + ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please explain the characteristics of this that make it so great and how it's different from the original. I'm interested in learning more about how people are tweaking this recipie as I'm afraid the original may not be sweet enough for my tastes. I'll be bottling my first batch soon, so I'll soon find out!

He isn't talking about changing the recipe, he is talking about mix drinks. Such as half Edwarts and half Blanche de Chambly (a beer)

I'm thinking of bottling a wheat beer with 1/2 apfelwein. Then it'll be pre-mixed.

I like Apfelwein on it's own, but it sure works well with Ginger Ale.

Also, It's pretty good with a shot of Black Berry Brandy.

Add a little 7up if you want it sweet. I'll cut it with sparkling mineral water if I'm wanting to stretch into a session.

He isn't talking about changing the recipe, he is talking about mix drinks. Such as half Edwarts and half Blanche de Chambly (a beer)

Yeah, I mixed roughly 1/5th belgian wit to 4/5th apfelwein and it gave it a lot more body and spiced it up a little. There's still good cider taste, but idk... hard to explain other than "better".

This might be a complete highjack...so ill apologize up front but try to stay CLOSE to the topic...

Along the theme of mixing apfelwein and something, I am considering trying to merge two kegs into a single tap. Im pretty sure that if I create a tee line hose that tees together two outlets from kegs into one hose I can run to a tap in my kegerator, then a pull of the tap SHOULD dispense from both kegs creating a mix. I have 3 regulators and in theory I could adjust the mix by how much pressure each keg is set.

SOOOO.... I could have a keg of apfelwen and a keg of say, pale ale and mix at tap....or my original thought that is :off: would be to fill a keg with lemonaide and mix a shandy right at the tap...My SWMBO would be in heaven.

Thoughts?

I've done apfelwein with O'Flannagain's stout, as well as various IPA's. I don't think you can go wrong. Apfelwein is so dry and has such a light body, it pretty much compliments everything. :)

Back