Oreos & Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorado68

Reaction score
Been wanting to do a vanilla and chocolate oatmeal stout that reminds me of an Oreo cookie so brewed this up the other day and it's fermenting away.

The cacao and vanilla beans are soaking in vodka and will rack to 2ndary in a few days.

Mashed at 154 for 45 min. Batch sparged at 168 for 10 min.
Hit 1.055 to a planned 1.057. Anticipating FG at 1.013. Should come out to around 5.5 abv.

7 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
12.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
12.0 oz Pale Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
4.0 oz Special B Malt
1.50 oz Fuggles - 60.0 min
1.00 oz Fuggles - 15.0 min
1 lbs Milk Sugar - 10 min
Irish Ale 1084
4.00 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary 14.0 days)
1 3/4 Vanilla Beans (Secondary 14.0 days

This actually came out very nice and have done two more versions since.
The first didn't have as much chocolate flavor or vanilla as I thought it would have.
On the second try I omitted the vanilla and didn't notice a difference.

On the third try I bumped up the nibs and added a half packet of Land-O-Lakes white chocolate coco powder to the boil.
That was the ticket! I also tweaked the grain bill.
Started with a 1.059 and ended with 1.023 after five weeks. Three of which the nibs were racked on.

Two weeks later and this stuff is amazing!
Not a lot of chocolate but just enough to know it's there. The lactose really makes this smooth and the low ABV (4.7) goes down easy.
The oats give it a great mouth feel reminiscent of chocolate milk.
It's dark at 44 srm but not as filling as you'd think.
Reminds me of a chocolaty draught Guinness if I had to compare.

Here's Version 3.0

9lbs Marris
1 1/2 lbs oats
1 lb chocolate wheat
12 oz. cara
8 oz. black patent
8 oz. crystal 60
8 oz. pale chocolate
8 oz. special B
1.5 oz. fuggles at 60 min
1.5 oz. fuggles at 15 min
2 oz Land-O-Lakes white chocolate coco powder @ 10 min
1 lb lactose at 10 min
WLP004 w/starter
At two weeks it was racked onto the nibs and another three in secondary.
Bottled w/table sugar at 2.7vol

I just used enough vodka on the nibs to soak up the liquid as none was left when racking into secondary.

I also did a couple gallons with toasted coconut flakes and it really tastes nice.
This is a keeper recipe

DSCN1673.JPG

Me and a buddy of mine are going to try this recipe this weekend. I was plugging everything into brewtoad to scale it up to a 10 gallon batch but it's not making sense. If I enter this at 5 gallons it's coming out to 7% ABV with your list, but if I scale it up to 10 gallons it's barely touching 4%. What size boil did you have with these ingredients? Also, how many cocoa nibs did you use in version 3.0 and did you end up using any vanilla? Any info is much appreciated and this sounds great I can't wait to give it a taste!

Back