AHS Stone IPA Clone Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBug

Reaction score
This weekend I plan on making my first partial mash recipe using Austin Homebrew's Stone IPA - Mini Mash and I have a couple questions I would really appreciate help with.

First off the directions call for soaking/steeping the grains in 2.5 gallons of water at 155 degrees for 45 mins and then rinsing with 2 qt. of water @170 degrees. I was considering instead of following the kit directions of giving the Counter-top partial mashing method a try. http://***********/feature/1536.html

Good idea or bad? Any preferences on the method, does it even matter??

The next question is regarding the hops. If I enter the recipe into beersmith it comes up with an IBU of 40.7 which seems quite low to me. I found another thread where someone asked the same question and the solution ended up doing a full boil. But I myself am not able to do a full boil at this point. So I was wondering if adding the extract late in the boil(or even after) is the right way to go. Are there other concerns about adding the extract at the end??

A 15 minute extract boil gives me 71.6 and after the boil gives me 81.9. Any advice/help is greatly appreciated. I am a big fan of IPA so I am really hoping I get this one right! :) I have posted the recipe below. Thanks

1 lb. Munich Malt
1 lb. Crystal 20L
2 lbs. 2-Row

6.5 lbs. Extra Pale Extract

1 oz. Warrior @60mins
1 oz. Centennial @ 15 mins
1 oz. Centennial @ 5 mins

1oz. Centennial Dry Hop

5.25 batch with a 3 gallon boil

Mash your PM whatever way works best for you and yields a decent extract eff.

As far as the hops...nothing wrong in my book with doing a late addition and bumping your utilization in the process on something you want to be a good dose of hops in the first place ;)

:mug: I did this mini-mash clone from AHS few months back- best beer i made to date. The only mods i made were using a full boil (actually 6+ gallons) and adjusting the hops because of better utilization. I forgot what the IBU's were using AHS directions, but my batch had 78-83 IBU's. I basically mashed using AHS's directions, maybe with slight changes but nothing drastically different- just sparged with some 170 degree water (gallon or so). Outcome= Very good body and maltiness (especially for mini-mash/extract recipe), nice bitter bite without overpowering every other aspect, and a huge floral and citrus nose.

In other words, make any adjustments you think would be better, but rest assured AHS's glorified steeping (minimash) produces an excellent beer in this case.:mug:

Having never done a PM before I really have no info on what the best method for efficiency would be, was wondering what the general opinion was. But I'm thinking I just need to pick one and start some experimenting:)

mhot55,
It was your thread I was mentioning above. Glad to hear it came out very well! I am still undecided which route I am going to chose for the PM method. But it's good to know that the AHS method works successfully.

I will go with the partial boil though and the late extract since it seems some change is necessary to hit the correct IBU. Just don't have the capacity for a full boil.

Thank you for the replies!

FYI- late extract addition (end of boil) will also need an adjustment as this also leads to better hop utilization, even with a partial boil.

mhot55 said:
FYI- late extract addition (end of boil) will also need an adjustment as this also leads to better hop utilization, even with a partial boil.

According to beersmith(at least with me at the controls) it says doing a partial boil(3 gallons) and adding the extract at the last 15 mins of the boil will give me an IBU of 71. Is there some other adjustment than that, that I should be considering???

Edwort has a similar (but AG) recipe. His hop schedule is:

1 oz. Warrior 60 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 45 minutes
1 oz. Centennial at 5 minutes

I have done this recipe but AG.

Follow AHS instructions they are good general instructions that will work for you.

My only change to this recipe is in the drop hopping. I have a local pub that has stone of tap and wow.. when you drink it you can smell the centinnial just like you where smelling a bag of hops. I up the dry hop to 2oz.

Good Luck!

I did this extract per the directions as my first ever batch, and it was excellent as is. Actually, I backed off on the warrior and only used about 2/3 of an oz, but that's just me.

As for the AHS all-grain, EdWort's looks really close, I looked at EdWorts 1lb munich, 1 lb crystal 20L and the hopping schedule is right, but 10.5lbs of pale malt sounds like it would make for too rich of a beer. What does AHS use as its base malt - 2 row?

Thanks,
Doug

Just FYI anoldur, I think you mistyped a bit. Ed's has no 45 min addition, its a 15 min addition.

Thanks for catching that, but I can't figure it out. It was a cut and paste from somewhere, but I can't find where. I did it a while ago and pasted it into a word document with other IPA recipes. :drunk:

Thanks anoldur. That recipe sounds much more reasonable.

Prost,
Doug

UTDoug said:
I did this extract per the directions as my first ever batch, and it was excellent as is. Actually, I backed off on the warrior and only used about 2/3 of an oz, but that's just me.

As for the AHS all-grain, EdWort's looks really close, I looked at EdWorts 1lb munich, 1 lb crystal 20L and the hopping schedule is right, but 10.5lbs of pale malt sounds like it would make for too rich of a beer. What does AHS use as its base malt - 2 row?

Thanks,
Doug

"Rich" is really not directly a result of the amount of base malt in an AG recipe. You have to consider the malt bill in whole, the mashing schedule, target ABV/attenuation of the yeast used, ect.

On the hop schedule: if you read further into the thread with out the 45 min addition, Ed says that schedule was "off the top of his head" Either way from my POV the recipe with 60/45/15/dry makes more sense to me as you are covering the bittering/flavor/aroma range, which is also why just hammering the 60 min addition doesn't really cover all the other bases adequately. I have brewed the 60/45/15/dry and it makes a dam fine IPA right in line with what you would expect from a Stone IPA clone.

Back