How is this for bad luck?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conneryis007

Reaction score
Yesterday I was brewing a 10 gallon batch of an imperial black IPA and had 5 minutes to go in the boil. I turned on my pump to recirculate the wort through my plate chiller for the last 5 minutes to sanitize everything. The pump primed and sent liquid out but then dead stopped when it hit the plate chiller. I tried twice and thought oh crap, my plate chiller is clogged, I didn't clean it out well enough the last time I used it! Frantic now, I disassembled the fittings to see if I could blow air through the plate and see inside. While disassembling I found the issue. The silicone check valve from the gas in port of my sanke coupler was perfectly lodged, facing the wrong direction, inside my male side quick release fitting! All of my fittings shared a PBW and then star san bath and some how these two pieces really wanted to be together!

Just thought I would share my need to slow down, or drink less, or pay more attention!

Was it clogged from poor cleaning or hops? I've had hop issues in the past, not sure what you do to filter them out.

Was it clogged from poor cleaning or hops? I've had hop issues in the past, not sure what you do to filter them out.

I have a false bottom in my boil kettle so no hops issue for me. See the reason below (from OP):

While disassembling I found the issue. The silicone check valve from the gas in port of my sanke coupler was perfectly lodged, facing the wrong direction, inside my male side quick release fitting! All of my fittings shared a PBW and then star san bath and some how these two pieces really wanted to be together!

Back