Lagering in MN

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdtwnj

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and am new to home brewing. Does anyone living in a cold climate have tips or tricks to lagering over the winter without using a chest freezer? I'd like to get some lagers going and I'm wondering if leaving the fermentor in my garage would get too cold, and if it will, will a wrap of some kind keep it warm?

Thanks guys!

...well...We've brewed a lager in the basement last winter. Ambient temp was about 55* which I think was on the higher end for that strand. We didn't really lager but just let it sit in the coldest corner of the basement which I think eventually dropped to 50*. Tough thing about outside is the temp swings. It might be good for a day but then it might drop to -25* so you never know.

How did the basement lager turn out? 50-55 degrees is achievable in my basement.

How did the basement lager turn out? 50-55 degrees is achievable in my basement.

It turned out pretty decent. Didn't have any real noticeable flaws. I'm sure it could have been better with proper equipment but for a first ever lager it wasn't bad. It was Northern Brewer's Miabock with Bohemian Wyeast which ferments up to 58*.

Latest posts

Back