Secondary Yeast Cake (Wee Heavy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimalBrewer

Reaction score
So my wee heavy has been in the secondary for 12 hours and already has a solid cake at the bottom. No airlock activity that I can tell. There was still a good amount of suspended yeast in the primary when I did the transfer at 8 days of primary fermentation. Beer is now very clear.

My question is, will this yeast cake add any off flavors if it is conditioning for two months? If so, what are my options? (70deg, Wyeast Scottish ale yeast)

BTW, in the primary and had insane fermentation for 4 days (looked like a volcano almost in there - I have a video). She started 4 degrees too warm for my taste.

My thoughts are that I may have a high ester profile which probably will not be so great in this style of beer since I fermented at the upper temp range of the yeast for the first 48 hours. At that point it came down to 70deg, but still not low enough. Have to find a good solution in the south to keep it at 65ish degrees. As to the secondary I am hoping some of these esters may reduce in the two month secondary, that is if the yeast cake doesn't do anything worse...

Well IMO I wouldn't think you would get any off favors from two months of aging. But if you are worried about it rack to tertiary to get off the yeast cake that formed in secondary

I think plenty of people have left their beer in primary for over two months with no problem. I say leave it.

No issue with your beer in secondary with the yeast cake at the bottom. I don't think you'd even have an issue after 6 months in secondary.

Back