2.5 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I don't. Had the setup at the Mi homebrew fest couple of weeks ago so maybe someone took a couple of pics.

I could take a couple this weekend. I ment to document the build but hey i got too involved to remember to use the camera.

These things get pretty pricey if you add up all the little pieces. I have $300+ into mine with the kegs.

(1)cooler, (2) kegs, PVC tower with (2) shanks and taps, lines and ball lock connections. This doesn't include my CO2 setup. I have a brass gas fitting on the back of the tower to use my paintball setup, the 13 gram cartridges, or i guess my 5 lb.

wow.. don't tell SWMBO :) (just kidding i sent her to the taylor store for most of the pieces ;) )

Pretty sure the Island Breeze will fit two.

igloo roller.png

I'm going to order two of these. As I said in my earlier post, I have 12 TAD bottles and I like them just fine. They've been easy to work with and have stored well. This will give me a new option. I'm also about to remodel my basement and I may add a small bar. I've never wanted a bar in the basement and when the basement was being finished the first time, I specifically said no bar, but maybe a small walk-up bar with two little mini fridges housing two of these would be nice.

Did your kegs come in yet? Just wondering how long it took you to recive them.

I may jump on this at the price they have. I've chatted with Mike at AHB about buying their 2.5 keg system, but with the stackable kegs. I have a few 5 gallon cornies, but I think I might like the idea of splitting 5 batch recipes between these kegs and bottles instead of keggin an entire 5 gallon batch.

Mike told me two of those kegs stacked is about 29" tall. Anyone who runs the typical draft tower minifridge know if 29" is too tall? Seems taller than a typical 5 gallon corny. I like the idea of (hopefully) have four 2.5 gallon kegs in a mini fridge. If not all of them work, what brands would work? I may look to just getting that style of kegerator if I don't go the chest freezer route.

Did your kegs come in yet? Just wondering how long it took you to recive them.

I may jump on this at the price they have. I've chatted with Mike at AHB about buying their 2.5 keg system, but with the stackable kegs. I have a few 5 gallon cornies, but I think I might like the idea of splitting 5 batch recipes between these kegs and bottles instead of keggin an entire 5 gallon batch.

Mike told me two of those kegs stacked is about 29" tall. Anyone who runs the typical draft tower minifridge know if 29" is too tall? Seems taller than a typical 5 gallon corny. I like the idea of (hopefully) have four 2.5 gallon kegs in a mini fridge. If not all of them work, what brands would work? I may look to just getting that style of kegerator if I don't go the chest freezer route.

No, I hurt my back and did not order them. They are still in my cart and now that you've reminded me...

I ordered mine last Friday and got it yesterday. Seems pretty nice. I have an Irish red that will be ready to keg next week to try it out.

^^^ So looks like about a week to ship huh.

I ordered mine just a few minutes ago. I ordered the 2.5 keg system, but was able to substitute the stackable keg for the rubber ones. After asking Mike about it, he added that option to order. $209 plus shipping if you add a 5lb CO2 tank.

So looks like I'm finally going to be able to start kegging. I have an old chest freezer I got from my mom that I'll use until I get a smaller one for my bar. Still need to get a temp controller, but might wait a couple of weeks. I have a batch in primary, so I have time til I get paid again.

Just got my order in from Adventures. They shipped it faster than I expected. The keg looks pretty nice. After looking it over, I noticed the posts are to the front and back of the lid instead of off to the sides. Kinda makes opening the keg a bit harder, but it looks like they had to be made that way so the tall handles don't get in the way of the posts. The keg measures 14.5" tall and the handles more than clear the disconnects. If you had to, you could run the hoses underneath the handles.

Now, I'm trying to decide whether to use this keg for my nut brown and split the difference to bottles, or just transfer the whole batch to one of my 5 gallons......

Mine were also delievered today. I'm away until tomorrow night, but I'm anxious to check them out.

I racked my Irish red to my new keg on Monday. Have it carbing at 12 psi serving pressure. I'll give it a try in about a week. Very happy with keg so far.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. These are actually heavier than I imagined they would be. Each one was in it's own box and enclosed in a bubble wrap bag. I actually expected them to be in one box with foam peanuts or something. So the overall packaging is nice. If UPS were to get careless (and we all know that never happens), you could have some dents. But overall, I'm pleased. I think I'll buy two more.

Hello again Lads:
I thought I would post a photo of these things stacked. I placed a can next to them for scale. Total height is about 29"
DSC_0037_zpsb6460e59.jpg

Revvy, I sold my 5gal kegs 12-15yrs ago when I stopped brewing for a while. So, I don't know the height of one. But, these are just a tad under 29" tall when stacked.

I agree with Blake. Mike at AIHB told me total height of two of the stackable kegs is 29" I only have one of the stackable kegs, but it measures at 14.5" and that clears the height with any disconnects since they sit just below the handle height. I measured one of my 5 gal cornies and it was at 25".

I think if you're kegerator/keezer has 30" of clearance, you should have no issues with a couple of stacked 2.5s.

when you think about it, it is no surprise that two 2.5 gal kegs are taller than a 5 gal keg. Especially with those tall handles that are made for stacking. I mostly brew 3 gal batches anyway. I've been using Tap A Draft bottles for the last two years They are fine, but I think these may preserve the beer longer.

Can you overfill these kegs, or is it ok to fill it to the tippy top? This is my first ball lock keg, I have been using the 5L mini-kegs. I saw the mini dip tube deal attached to the gas side and wondered if that needs to stay dry.

when you think about it, it is no surprise that two 2.5 gal kegs are taller than a 5 gal keg. Especially with those tall handles that are made for stacking. I mostly brew 3 gal batches anyway. I've been using Tap A Draft bottles for the last two years They are fine, but I think these may preserve the beer longer.

I mostly like the idea of increasing the number of taps in the same amount of space. I'll definitely have to pick up a few more of these things.

Can you overfill these kegs, or is it ok to fill it to the tippy top? This is my first ball lock keg, I have been using the 5L mini-kegs. I saw the mini dip tube deal attached to the gas side and wondered if that needs to stay dry.

I wouldn't get it to the very tip top. There should be no worries if you're doing 2.5 gallon, or less, batches. If you're splitting a big batch, then just use good judgement. I imagine it's sort of like bottling as you want a little bit of head space. Maybe just measure out 2.5 gallons of water, pour in the keg, and see where the water stops to give you an idea of how much beer to put in there.

What co2 tank do you guys use to fit in the fridge? I was looking at the heights, and it sounds like the largest you could fit in this height range is a 2.5 pounder?

What co2 tank do you guys use to fit in the fridge? I was looking at the heights, and it sounds like the largest you could fit in this height range is a 2.5 pounder?

I have a 5 pounder in mine. Even without the collar it fits.

526ca5ac.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see the little blue top of the gas bottle, near the bucket I was crash cooling.

This is an amazing deal thanks for the reviews brew family!

Celebrate Nat'l homebrew day! 11-3-12 contact your LHBS if they are running one. We here in NYC are doing one in Astoria as BREWSTORIA.com and making it a fundraiser for red cross. Come by if you are around.

Mine are getting here today! I am super excited. Hopefully that hold of for a long time, especially with them being Chinese made and suspiciously cheap. Totally worth it though. Lets us know if anyone runs into any problems.

Here are some pics of my kegs and keezer. They work great. I've already emptied a keg within the first couple of weeks.
K28PN.jpg

j1DES.jpg

I have just 15" height to work with.. assuming I can only use one of these 2.5 gallon kegs (as opposed to a 3 gallon).

One other thing... with the 15" height, can I only use a 2.5 gallon co2 tank?

How is the "system" --good regulator and fittings?
http://www.homebrewing.org/25-Gallon-Metal-Handle-kegging-system_p_2972.html

Here's the tank I'm thinking I may be able to get away with--depending on where the height is measured:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C25H.shtml

Are these different than the AIHB kegs? I would prefer not to wait until Feb 28th as I've got a beer that'll be ready to keg in a couple of weeks.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/-2-GALLON-BALL-LOCK-KEG--P3151C109.aspx

Thanks

Are the posts removable on the 2.5 gallon kegs from homebrewing.org and cornykeg.com? Did anyone ever figure out what the finish is or has it faded or anything after repeated use?

I'm in San Fran waiting to take the red eye back to ATL. I'll check the posts on mine tomorrow. I'm 99% sure they are removable. I'm kegging this weekend and I may just use the 2.5 kegs

Adventures in homebrewing 2.5 g kegs have standard parts and removable posts. Love them. Have 3.

Adventures in homebrewing 2.5 g kegs have standard parts and removable posts. Love them. Have 3.

Metal handle / stackable or rubber handle / ball lock? Both are on sale at the moment, I'm considering grabbing one.

Hi guys,

A couple of posts back people discussed the 29" height of a stacked set - does anyone know if that height plus regs will fit inside the standard Danby bar fridge that everyone uses as a kegerator?

I'm putting together a kegerator wish list, and I split a lot of batches. I know that 2 cornies fit in the Danby no problem, but wonder if you could fit 4 of these...

Thanks.

Hi guys,

A couple of posts back people discussed the 29" height of a stacked set - does anyone know if that height plus regs will fit inside the standard Danby bar fridge that everyone uses as a kegerator?

I'm putting together a kegerator wish list, and I split a lot of batches. I know that 2 cornies fit in the Danby no problem, but wonder if you could fit 4 of these...

Thanks.

I have both styles and measured. My 5 gallon ball locks are 8.5" in diameter and the 2.5 stackables are 9" in diameter. I don't know if the .5" difference will matter, but at least you'll have that info when you go shopping for a kegerator

I own a Danby kegerator KDC146sdbl (5.2 cf), and 2 with tall handles (14.5") did not fit. Bought 2 of the old style (13.5", stackable but not with the ball locks on) and 2 14.5". These fit fine when stacked. You don't need to be able to stack the top one anyway :).

Back