Why am I supposed to have all of this fancy equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaff1101

Reaction score
OK so, I poured my IPA into a couple of swing top bottles out of my keg around Christmas from the tapper to take to some family get togethers low and behold I had one left in the fridge I just found. I popped it open and poured into a glass. Very nice head the carbonation was a bit low but still some nice bubbles and the taste was fantastic. So my question is why am I supposed to have all of this extra equipment to bottle from my keg?:confused:

carbonation was a bit low

That and keeping oxygen out of the beer. Doesn't matter for a few weeks in the fridge, but months at room temperature? Makes a big difference.

OK so if I wanted to do it this way short term then that would be ok and it really would not effect the beer. How long would it be good for when doing it this way?

OK so if I wanted to do it this way short term then that would be ok and it really would not effect the beer. How long would it be good for when doing it this way?

That's going to vary depending on just how careful (or not) you are about avoiding aeration and large head spaces filled with air. Probably a wide variation from brewer to brewer, I imagine.

I think you should bottle a sixer and set it aside for, say, three months. Then drink one bottle each month, and write down your impressions of the beer's character. Report back here in...nine months.

Do it - for Science!

Cheers! ;)

au contrare....:mug: Victory in Downingtown....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD-KuGuEzHw]Victory Growler Filler.mov - YouTube[/ame]

I filled some Pumpkin Ale bottles right out the tap as I usually do a month and a half ago. Popped the last one the other day and it was just as carbed as it was out the keg and no cardboard taste or darker color. What I'm saying is that: If done right (filled at 4 psi and use oxygen absorbing caps) it will be just as good for a long time. IMO

At the very least stick some tubing onto the spout of the tap so that it goes down to the bottom of the growler/bottle. Then at least it fills from the bottom up.

1. Highly carbonate your keg.
2. Hose each growler's airspace with co2 gas first and then cap each of them (not pressurized obviously).
3. Then one by one, fill with the party tap or whatever. No o2 is getting in there.

At least it sounds like it would work.:cross:

Or could you fill keg, set to a serving pressure, fill bottle with uncarbonated beer,then bottle condition with priming sugar?

Back