A few questions that I should have asked at the LHBS, but didn't

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So for my second batch I am trying to make a Bass Ale clone and I am doing a few things differently than I did for my first batch. I have a vial of While Labs English Ale yeast that I am going to make a 1 quart starter from and I am using DME instead of LME this time. So now where are my questions.

1. How easily does the DME disolve in the boil kettle?
  2. I am planning on using a plastic fermenter (6 1/2) g for a 5g batch, Will I need to worry about air lock getting gummed up with this yeast?
  3. Will the fact that I forget to pick up the irish moss really matter?

Thanks,
Chris

DME disolves easily. Steam from the pot tends to make it clump up, but a little stirring and it mixes right in.

You shouldn't need a blowoff tube, airlock will be fine. Your bucket provides plenty of headroom. Ask again when you brew a wit.

Irish moss helps you get clearer beer, it won't change the taste or the quality, so don't worry about it.

ChrisS said:
  1. How easily does the DME disolve in the boil kettle? Very easily, nothing to worry about here.
  2. I am planning on using a plastic fermenter (6 1/2) g for a 5g batch, Will I need to worry about air lock getting gummed up with this yeast? Probably not, but I always do, just in case. It only ever takes one surprise mega-fermentation to make a huge mess and blow the lid off those suckers.
  3. Will the fact that I forget to pick up the irish moss really matter? No. I always forget to use mine and I get crystal clear beers time after time.

Thanks,
Chris

Anytime Chris!

I think that DME is easier to work with than LME. With LME, you have to make sure it's all mixed in, it sits on the bottom until it's stirred in. With DME, you know when it's stirred in properly, there won't be a bunch of clumps.

As for the Irish moss, don't worry about it. It's for clearing. It's possible it would take a little longer to clear, but I haven't had any issues with forgetting it.

Latest posts

Back