Wyeast 3522 - Insane Starter, blewoff!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
So I harvested this strain from my last batch. I made a small 6 cup starter to test viability (as I would have to make a starter from a pack if this wasn't viable in time for my brew day Sat.)

Anyways, used my 1 gallon growler with airlock, 6 cups or wort in there leaves just about 63% headspace. I starts bubbling 1.5 hours after I pitched at 65F.

I wake up this morning to see the airlock had overflowed and spilled about 2-4 TBS of yeast slurry on the table!!

This yeast is insane! A blowoff tube was needed (in hindsight) for a starter with 63% headspace...that's nuts!

Hey,

I am not sure about the delta pressure, but you might consider not using an airlock with a starter. You want oxygen to be able to get to your little yeasties....

Consider the standard tinfoil or some places sell these little foam plugs that apparently work as well.

Not sure why you got the bang you did. Most of my starters, including harvested yeast, do not have that type of reaction. Most are fairly mild.

Back