I love Simcoe Hops....So Simcoe IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
Go big or go home, thats what this beer is.

whatcha think?

Simcoe IIPA - Imperial IPA
================================================================================
Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 1.500 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.090
FG: 1.018 (im hoping for 1.014 ish the program always overestimates)
ABV: 9.4%
Bitterness: 109.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 8 SRM (Morey)
Yeast: WLP001
Starter: yes
Mash 148F 60 min

Fermentables
================================================================================
16.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Sugar
1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain

Total grain: 20.250 lb

Hops

90 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 1.500 hr Pellet 53.9
60 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 1.2
30 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 22.1
20 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 20.000 min Pellet 17.4
10 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 10.4
0 min Simcoe 13.0% 1.000 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
dryhop Simcoe 13.0% 3.000 oz Dry Hop

Your IBUs are off because you show the 60 min hop addition as only boiling for 1 min (should be 1 hr). You're probably in the 140 range.

BTW, why both a 90 and a 60 min addition. I would think that adding all of the hops at either 60 or 90 min would work about the same.

Are you trying to make a beer that tastes like grapefruit? I read on the internet that simcoe hops make your beer taste like grapefruit.:D

Are you trying to make a beer that tastes like grapefruit? I read on the internet that simcoe hops make your beer taste like grapefruit.:D

ive made lots of beers with simcoe and amarillo and love them. ive heard simcoe ipas are good. grapefruity wouldn't be a bad thing to me :mug:

A lame misogynistic video if you ask me. As to Simcoe - my favorite hops in combination, by itself though, not so much.

Personally, I move the 1oz @ 60 minute in split it between the 30 minute and flame out addition, to give it more flavor and aroma, but if youre a bitter IPA fan ignore what I said. Looks good though, Simcoe hops are my favorite.

i think im gonna move the 60 to 45. should get plenty of aroma with 3 oz dryhop. I will probably be making this again and change stuff around.

I'd skip the 60 and 30 min additions and add a 5 min or double up on the 10 and flame out.
I love simcoe as well!!!
have you had weyerbacher's double simcoe IPA?

The Weyerbacher double Simcoe is quite awesome.

@niquejim - my brewing partner feels the same way....thinks it smells like a dank basement. I really love it though. Somehow Weyerbacher's doesn't smell bad at all. I'm drinking a Simcoe/Centennial that we brewed a month or so ago (yes, I foisted the Simcoe on him with this batch). Quite nice now that it's warmed up a little and the flavors are coming to life!

A lame misogynistic video if you ask me. As to Simcoe - my favorite hops in combination, by itself though, not so much.

The website doesn't allow you to choose different characters unless you pay $ to upgrade, therefore the customer is a black female bear-type of creature.

No misogynisticism was intended... I assure you.

Why not move the oz at 60min to First Wort?

Haven't had a Weyerbacher Simcoe in a while, but I went through quite a phase with it a few years back. It has quite a bit of residual sugars. Leaves a crust on the glass!

Revised. i added some vienna too.

Simcoe IIPA - Imperial IPA
Batch Size: 6.000 gal
Boil Size: 7.500 gal
Boil Time: 1.500 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.091
FG: 1.018
ABV: 9.5%
Bitterness: 98.2 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 8 SRM (Morey)

Fermentables
15.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 lbs Vienna Malt Grain
1.5 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 20
1 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Sugar
1 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain

Total grain: 21.000 lb

Hops

1.5 oz @ FWH Simcoe 13.0%
1 oz @ 90 min Simcoe 13.0%
1.5 oz @ 20 minSimcoe 13.0%
1.5 oz @ 10 minSimcoe 13.0%
1.5 oz @ 0Simcoe 13.0%
3 oz dryhop Simcoe 13.0%

This is gonna taste awesome. Now I want to make this instead of the regular simcoe ipa haha.

I lie the hop schedule better now. I have only one complaint. 1.5lbs of crystal. Even for light crystal that's a lot, especially if you want it to ferment down like you want. Since you are a west coaster, I'm sure you are familiar with Pliny. I think vinnie keeps the crystal to under 5%. I'm not saying his is the only way, but I know his IPA/DIPAs are dryer and more drinkable than most. I think .5-.75lb would be plenty. You will have less unfermentables so it will dry out to where you want it. Also, mash at 148-150 to have a more fermentable wort. Good luck.

so OG of 1.086 and fg of 1.016 ~ 9.2 % ABV!!!

who ever said simcoe hops are not that good by themselves are wrong lol! this beer is awsome!!!!!!! definatly a keeper in my recipe book!

i give you the simcoe smacked double IPA!
20101107091000.jpg

Shot at 2010-11-08

When did you brew? What was your final hop schedule? I like you wen't FWH; I've been playing with those and mash hops a lot lately.

Tried this beer this weekend and it is definitely good. Super smooth for such a high % beer and simcoe hops are always awesome.

Definitely felt good after a few of these ha.

When did you brew? What was your final hop schedule? I like you wen't FWH; I've been playing with those and mash hops a lot lately.

final hop schedule is what is posted above. i knocked the c20 down to 1lb.

brewed on september 25th - 3.5-4 weeks primary then dryhopped for 1.5-2 weeks in secondary - cold crashed with gelatin for a couple days and kegged. forced carbed and let the keg sit for 2 days and tapped.

What do you think it combines well with, and how much Simcoe do you use when you brew in combination?
Cheers

Would you pair this IIPA with nelson sauvin? I'm tryin to find a good NS pair, and I want to justify buying a pound of Simcoe, rather than by the oz.

Looks like he asked that question a year ago. Hopefully he figured if out.

Back