I'm new and looking to build a kegorator for my 5th wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboedbug

Reaction score
Hi my name is Mike and I love beer. I have been brewing beer for right around 5 or 6 years and I love it. I do alot of traveling for work so thats held me back a bit on how much I can brew. I just recently picked up this huge 5th wheel so now my equipemnt goes with me:tank:. I'm currently looking to build up a kegorator that would fit under my kitchen sink and have my tower and faucets that would sit behind the sink. I have seen a few posts of people dismantling mini fridges and adapting the cooling unit to a cabinet of their design. Under my kitchen sink has alot of space, I can fit 4 corny kegs and 2 carboys in there. anybody have any suggestions on what mini fridge would prove best for my application?

Do you have dedicated 112v AC, even when driving? If you have a power inverter and can charge while driving you could use almost any fridge/cooling unit, especially since you won't be keeping things at regular fridge temp (~40F or less).

For nice clear beer, the kegs don't really like to be moved around much. You could overcome this by using gelatin and cold crashing so you get a nice clean product into the keg.

Yup good on the electrical. I have an outlet right next to where I'm looking to put this thing. I'm not to worried about having the cooler working while I drive. But if I do need it in the future I could add an inverter like your saying.

For nice clear beer, the kegs don't really like to be moved around much. You could overcome this by using gelatin and cold crashing so you get a nice clean product into the keg.

Good Idea, When I do move I could be at the new job for 6 months to a year. So only a few gallons could get crappy.

Not really, they would only need 2-3 days to settle out again.

Cool then no worries about traveling with my kegs, So what do you people think would be a good setup for what I need? maybe I should toss up some pics of what I have to work with. Think that might help?

definately throw up some pix, dimentions might not be a bad idea either. from the sound of your space, you might get away with a small chest freezer (and that would make a dandy kegerator/keezer if you will) -just add a third-party thermostat and you're good to go in the cooling department and since the thing will good insulation, it could even survive brief 'off' periods.
I'm starting to wish I did whatever you do -so I could have this problem (grin).

Is your fridge powered off of propane? May look into getting another one. Get some dimensons on your usable space and than find a fridge that will work if its smaller than the space you could take the door off and insualte the space with foam sheeting. Side note I have a hell of an inverter that would work pulled it off a semi :)

I will try to toss up some pics and measurements later, I might just end up doing a keezer since my ol lady liked some of the pics on here of what people made up. Plus once I travel to another job across country I could always toss it in a house if I was to be on the job for a long period of time.

Is your fridge powered off of propane? May look into getting another one. Get some dimensons on your usable space and than find a fridge that will work if its smaller than the space you could take the door off and insualte the space with foam sheeting. Side note I have a hell of an inverter that would work pulled it off a semi :)

Yeah the fridge is powered by propane and 110 volt, My washer,dryer and dishwasher are all ran off 110.....crazy a dishwasher in a 5th wheel!

well I'm in casa grande arizona now for another job. Once I got here I started looking for parts to work with my kegerator build and I stumbled on a danby kegerator for 100 bucks I had to snag it. it wasnt cooling at all, but I figured the tap tower, regulator, tap for a 1/2 barrel and co2 tank was worth the 100 in itself. I got it home found out the thermostat was crap, so I hardwired it past that. hooked up my johnson externel thermostat and now it works great:ban:.

Back