How long to fill a bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huffman

Reaction score
I bought a new bottle filler, clear tube, orange spring loaded end. How long does yours take to fill a bottle? Mine takes 55 seconds, every time. It took me well over an hour to bottle a batch of brew the last time. I had one before and don't remember it taking anywhere near that long. The place I bought it said it takes a while but that seems too slow to me. Any thoughts or recommendations. I also tool it apart and made sure there was nothing in it and that the rubber seal is seated correctly.

That does seem a bit rediculous. I haven't timed my bottling, but I'd guess around 20 seconds per bottle. I'm bottling another batch tomorrow morning, so I'll post for sure then.

My wand isn't spring loaded though. It's got a gravity valve similar to a wine thief.

wow. Almost a minute per bottle? Is that for a 12 oz bottle?

Seems like my filler takes maybe 10-15 seconds/12 oz bottle, and I think that is too long!

Did you snap the lid down on your bottling bucket while you were bottling?

Nope, the lid is on there loosely (so I don't have to wrestle it off to clean later) and the hole for the airlock is empty too so there's plenty of airflow into the bucket. I've used it to bottle twice (12 oz bottles) and it's worked the same both times. Like I said, I had one a while back just like it that worked great but gave it to a friend. Gave up brewing for a few years but didn't it remember it being sooooooo slow. I'm a bit miffed about the lack of response from the seller. Thanks for the feedback, I'll let you know what they say. But I'm happy to be brewing again!!:ban::ban::ban:

Looks exactly like this one:

BOT-FDE.jpg

Wow! That's really long. Mine is about 10-12 seconds, including a bump or two if can't quite see where the beer level is in the bottle when I get close to the top.

Are you siphoning or using a spigot valve on the bottom of the bucket? My spigot's valve actually closes down a little bit if I push it all the to the 'open' side. So I need to move it back just a little bit so it is full open.

Are you filling with the bottle well below the bucket. The lower the bottle below the beer level, the more pressure (or head) the flow will have and the faster you fill.

Yea hear you on this one. Back in my bottling days I didn't even use my filler that looked like yours. I simply used a longer tube and would fold it to stop the flow b/w bottles. Production is everything right...time is money as they say.

I use the Fermtech bottling wand that came with my kit from MW. I'd estimate it fills a 12-ouncer in between 10.8794 and 15.1203 seconds. Exactly.

Back