Co2 and Nitro tanks refilled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwappoalot

Reaction score
OK So I just got a used, but still in pretty good condition beverage air bm23 for about $425. So I decided it's time to start kegging!

So I started looking at getting tanks and co2, well buying a brand new tank wasn't really where I wanted to go since I called two local gas places and they told me they just exchange tanks, so I found a used 20# co2 tank on ebay (about $58 shipped) 20# CO2 Tanks - eBay (item 230326866460 end time Feb-27-09 10:09:05 PST) but it didn't have any hyrdo stickers on it so it need to be re-tested as well.

Plus I picked up this Co2 tanks, cylinders, Home Brew, Soda, 4 - 25 pounders - eBay (item 190289824295 end time Mar-05-09 11:07:55 PST) for $110. (again old dirty tanks needing re-testing)

The first gas company (the closest to me. Valley National) was going to charge me $23 to re-test and $35-$39 for the fill. So I called place #2 (Roberts Oxygen)which was about 40 mins farther away, they qouted me $13 for a re-test and $23 for a fill. Well no-brainer here I'll drive a little further then.
I asked both if they would take a trade in tank or two or three for a Nitrogen tank for "beer-gas" both said bring them in and we will look at them. Well the first place (5mins from my house) offered me this: he takes all 5 tanks and gives me a co2 filled (20#) and a beergas filled(80cf) and I'd owe him $125-150. Went to the second place and the guy offered me the same but for $90 bucks even (made a comment about keeping this under the radar and me paying cash)

so for $110+58+90= $258 I got a 20# co2 tank full and an 80cf Nitro(75%/25% mix) full
What do you all think? good deal or bad deal? or whatever?

****Updateed****
OK, so went back to "Roberts Oxygen" and asked for my tanks and my money back which they were nice enough to give me with no questions asked. In fact he refunded me $100 instead of $90, but being nice I gave him 10 and corrected him. Told me to leave the tanks outside and i went and got mine, he didn't watch me so I could have easily grabbed another tank (very trusting people) all-in-all they were very friendly and helpful and gave me a refund despite them screwing me only slightly less that my local gas supplier.

My head is going nuts trying to figure this out, but I think you got hosed.

I mean, whats an average cost for a used 20# co2 tank? I paid $58 bucks and to get ir filled/exchanged would have cost me $36 so $58+$36= $94 for one tank.
I've no idea where to find a used 80CF (equivalent to 20#+) Nitrogen tank, the only ones i've seen on ebay are like $140-$150 80 CF WELDING CYLINDER tank bottle ARGON NITROGEN - eBay (item 350174844231 end time Mar-13-09 11:50:34 PDT)

So to get that filled (cheapest i found in my area) would be $55-$60 so 150+60= $210

So bottom line as best I cant figure is $210+94= $304

Greedy bastards!
I work in a welding supply store and swap cylinders all day long. Cylinders are cylinders. If someone brought in a 20# co2 and wanted to swap it for an 80 nitrogen, I'd swap it. However, I would charge a little more for the contents of the N2 because the 80cf cylinder is worth alittle more than the 20. Around here, a 20# co2 cyl. swaps for around $15. 5# for $10. 80 cf of N2 is around $20.
We also don't worry about test date on swapped cylinders. If you wanted your out-of-date cylinder back, then you would have to pay for the hydro test. About $25 + contents.

Hmm, well both places the guys kinda looked at me like they didn't really need all these dirty old extra co2 tanks but we will take them off your hands

Greedy bastards!
I work in a welding supply store and swap cylinders all day long. Cylinders are cylinders. If someone brought in a 20# co2 and wanted to swap it for an 80 nitrogen, I'd swap it. However, I would charge a little more for the contents of the N2 because the 80cf cylinder is worth alittle more than the 20. Around here, a 20# co2 cyl. swaps for around $15. 5# for $10. 80 cf of N2 is around $20.
We also don't worry about test date on swapped cylinders. If you wanted your out-of-date cylinder back, then you would have to pay for the hydro test. About $25 + contents.

You mean an empty 20# co2 exchanges $15 for a 20# full tank right?
The guy made a comment about not even charging me for the testing.

Wowie!!...I sell on Ebay and work for a co2 co...I sell my used 20lb co2 tanks (aluminium with handle and a good test date) for $60.00 and sell 60cf mixed gases nitro tank for the same price..of course, I can't ship them filled and shipping cost some because of the weight but would still make the $258 you paid look extremely high....anyone looking for nice c02 tanks can contact me at [email protected]lators and corny kegs as well...best price anywhere.

These are old out of test date steel co2 tanks so, I paid 30 for one plus shipping and around 20 each for the others, how much would you sell an 80cf nitro tank for?
plus the gas fill would be $60 bucks for "beer gas" and $23 for co2 (without testing)

*Update* I called this morning after tossing and turning around last night and asked what I paid for exactly and he told me "the exchange for the 20# co2 and for a mixed gas so $36+$50 but he made it $90 even. So basically 4 old tanks exchange for an 80CF (full) nitro tank and 1 co2 (out of test date) for a full brand new aluminum co2.

I called a few more places and found "Airgas" which is as close as the first place "Roberts oxygen" I asked for a qoute on a 20# co2 refill/exchange he told me $17, I mentioned that it was old and out of test date, he said oh don't worry about that... So I asked him about "beer gas" (Nitro 75%/co2 25#) and he said he had one 5# er left. I asked how much and he said 16.50 so...... I asked him if he'd take a 20# co2 tank for an exhange for that and he said sure.
So I confirmed with him, I bring 2- 20# co2 tanks (empty/needting hyrdo testing) and swap them for 1- 20# co2 full and 1 -5#(22CF) Nitro/co2 mix "beergas" for $17 + $16.50 = $33.50 out the door.. Sounds good to me!

What does every one think?

You mean an empty 20# co2 exchanges $15 for a 20# full tank right?
The guy made a comment about not even charging me for the testing.

Yeah $15 for a swap.
It looks like you got a pretty good deal. It would be better if you could get a 40cf beergas instead of that 22.

Do you have a high pressure regulator? A co2 regulator won't work with beer gas. The beer gas will be about 2200 PSI. You may be able to trade a 20# cylinder for a regulator.
Just a thought.

Yeah $15 for a swap.
It looks like you got a pretty good deal. It would be better if you could get a 40cf beergas instead of that 22.

Do you have a high pressure regulator? A co2 regulator won't work with beer gas. The beer gas will be about 2200 PSI. You may be able to trade a 20# cylinder for a regulator.
Just a thought.

I still need to high pressure regulator for the Nitro/co2 tank. I don't mind the 22CF tank actually because I wanted a small one so that it would fit inside my beverage air BM23 Kegerator, that way I dont have to drill a hole through it. I've modified the tap from a single tap for a 3 tap tower, and plan on pumping up to 3 kegs at a time, one being a stout.
So I don't need a lot of "beer gas."
I'm going to call around to some other places tomorrow but I think that deal is the best I'm going to find and its pretty decent anyways.

My head still hurts trying to follow your story. I hope you got a good deal but the way you explained it, just makes it hard to follow.

Back