Molasses Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepke

Reaction score
I just wanted to see if anyone had tried making a hard cider using molasses instead of regular sugars. I just made a batch with dark brown sugar with outstanding results.

By using brown sugar you are already adding small amounts of molasses. Brown sugar is just white sugar mixed with molasses.
My favorite batch of cider to date is one made with molasses and brown sugar. Added a nice amber color to the finished cider and left just a touch of residual sweetness from the non-fermentable sugars. I also backsweetened it with 2Tbsp of Xylitol per gallon.
recipe here:
5 gal fresh pressed cider (UV treated)
24oz Grandmas molasses
24oz dark brown sugar
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectic enzyme
Lalvin D47 yeast, primary only for 6-8 weeks or till clear, then bottled with 5oz corn sugar and 10 Tbsp Xylitol.

I use brown sugar a lot in my cider and agree that the caramel/molassas taste is there when I use it, plus I get a bit more fermentability for my brew.

By using brown sugar you are already adding small amounts of molasses. Brown sugar is just white sugar mixed with molasses.
My favorite batch of cider to date is one made with molasses and brown sugar. Added a nice amber color to the finished cider and left just a touch of residual sweetness from the non-fermentable sugars. I also backsweetened it with 2Tbsp of Xylitol per gallon.
recipe here:
5 gal fresh pressed cider (UV treated)
24oz Grandmas molasses
24oz dark brown sugar
1 tbsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectic enzyme
Lalvin D47 yeast, primary only for 6-8 weeks or till clear, then bottled with 5oz corn sugar and 10 Tbsp Xylitol.

What is your typical OG on this? And would I have to use that wine yeast? Could i get away with using cider (or even beer) yeast and making a starter? and that pectin enzyme stuff, is that just because you used unpasturized juice that you need that? THANKS!

Out of curiosity - when are you adding the molasses and sugar to the cider? Are you adding it directly to the fermentation vessel, or are you perhaps adding it to a small amount of cider before adding it to the fermenter?

Since I never got an answer from my previous question, I just went ahead and tried it myself. I just took 1/2 gal of juice and warmed up to about 180, stirred in the fermentables, and made sure the sugars are dissolved. Then cool down, pour it into the rest of the cider, stir thoroughly, and pitch yeast. Worked out great. This tastes very good. I used:

24oz molasses
32oz brown sugar
5 gal treetop apple juice
Cider yeast (White Labs WLP775)
Yeast nutrient

A post a few down reminded me that I made a yeast starter as well. I used 1-2 quarts of juice mixed with a little bit of brown sugar.

I did a
2 week primary
2 week secondary
kegged and carbed
OG 1.080
FG 1.022

I have made cider with honey, brown sugar, cane sugar. It has become apparent I always tend to like the ciders with brown sugar. If its true that brown sugar is cane sugar mixed with molasses, could it be something about the molasses I seem to like? I thought since I saw it in the thread somebody may be able to clue me in on just what it does for added flavor

I have made cider with honey, brown sugar, cane sugar. It has become apparent I always tend to like the ciders with brown sugar. If its true that brown sugar is cane sugar mixed with molasses, could it be something about the molasses I seem to like? I thought since I saw it in the thread somebody may be able to clue me icon just what it does for added flavor

Well, I feel the flavor, that caramel/toffee flavor, is one I enjoy. Also, the complex sugars are not as fermentable, so they create both body, and sweetness.

Out of curiosity - when are you adding the molasses and sugar to the cider? Are you adding it directly to the fermentation vessel, or are you perhaps adding it to a small amount of cider before adding it to the fermenter?

I run 10 gallon batches and usually add 2 gallons of apple juice then 1 gallon yeast starter. The yeast starter is a glass gallon jug of apple juice with cider yeast started 2-3 days before. I mix the molasses and honey together and heat a little (not hot) maybe 100 degrees? to make a little easier to pour I slowly pour it like a small ribbon while adding the other 7 gallons of apple juice. it takes 4 hands but you don't have to worry about string it will ferment out completely.

I'm tempted to try my next cider with brown sugar over white cane sugar. I usually add 5 cups or 5 pounds of sugar per 5 gal. of cider. Do you think the same amount of brown sugar is appropriate?

I'm tempted to try my next cider with brown sugar over white cane sugar. I usually add 5 cups or 5 pounds of sugar per 5 gal. of cider. Do you think the same amount of brown sugar is appropriate?

I think its a good idea, but remember, tastes vary. The same ammount of brown sugar will give slightly less alcohol,but more flavor and body.

I did a batch of cider recently with Blackstrap Molasses added. This is the thickest stuff you can get, so it has the most flavor and nutrition (calcium, potassium, iron). It turned out great and wasn't at all harsh as I feared. I will definitely try it again! I didn't mix it thoroughly to take a reading since it is so thick and hard to mix cold. The yeast has no trouble finding it though, so not a problem. That being said, I didn't bother to measure OG.

I just started my cider yesterday. Started out adding 1/2 gallon of Mott's apple juice and a few tablespoons of honey to a flask for a starter. Added the WLP775 and about 24 hours later I had a nice batch of yeast starting. I probably did not need the starter because my SG was only 1.061. Boiled 1/2 gallon of Mott's apple juice with 24 oz of black strap molasses and one cup of brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.. Cooled it down and added to the sterilized pale. Made sure the temperatures were the same between the yeast starter and the pale filled with 5 gallons of juice, added the yeast starter and aerated. Airlocks were bubbling within 4 hours. This is a first Cider for me and just picked the recipe off the net from someone who said it turned out great. I am hoping it clarifies a lot and still has the apples flavor because it was literally a black mixture with all that molasses. I plan on doing a 2 week primary and 2 week secondary.

Back