Frozen Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonB

Reaction score
Hi all

It seems that lagering and a 2yo son don't sometimes work together.

I had a Harp Lager clone in a fridge/freezer 8 days into primary. I discovered that my son had gotten to the temperature control knob, and cranked it all the way down. It was fine 2 days ago but this morning it's frozen solid.

I guess this is crash cooling taken to the extreme!!

I'm not one for throwing away beer and the mad scientist in me wants to see the result.

What do you think I can expect? I would guess at the very least that the yeast would come out completely and would require a small amount of yeast pitching for bottle conditioning.

Or should I just toss the whole lot and start again?

I agree bring her back up to temperature and maybe pitch some more yeast to finish it off if the other lot could not handle being frozen.

Well today I bottled this Ice Lolly Lager.

I decided not to repitch the yeast after it thawed out, and just left it. I did however pitch a tiny bit of yeast before bottling.

I'm actually quite stoked.. It is crystal clear, and tastes amazing. I'll feed back again after the month or so bottle conditioning.

Back