Android BrewAide-Brew Day Assistant- Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont worry about it Mysticmead, if you are upgrading then it should be compatible, he probably has an older version of androind (2.2 probably) it should work for 2.3 and above and 4 inch screens and above (although it wont prevent you from downloading with a smaller screen just wont look as nice)

I was really just talking about the alarm when you start the timer. Like, hit the button, brrrringgggg (in my case since i have no idea how to change that sound). I do not want the timer silent. It's not really a big deal, but thought I'd clarify. Also, I restarted my phone, ran the boil timer again, no issues this time.

That initial alarm is usually because there is an addition right at the start. If you delete that addition than there wont be a sound. Glad it worked for you and hope you are enjoying the app

That would explain it then. 60 min hop addition will coincide with starting the timer.

I guess the mash does it too based on some other similar factor.

Since you cleared that up for me and I still like the app, is there a line that can be added to the settings so we can access our other tones on the phone? Despite my trying, I'm having to luck changing my default alarm sound, which is the one the app utilizes.

FYI, guys, get the app if you can. Simple.

Ok guys, I have been away for awhile on the forum, as I have been in Afghanistan and flying non stop so havent had much time to do much and the internet here isnt the greatest (i get an average of 128KB/sec down which makes me cry sometimes).

But I finally got around to opening up eclipse and doing some programming and have an update to the app for you. Not too much added but 2 new features that are pretty helpful.

1. Ability to move the install of the app from the phone storage to an SD Card, this should have been like that from the start since its a super easy fix. Just never thought about it until it was requested by a user.

2. While discussing the app with one of my friends here with me he randomly said a feature that I thought would be very useful and decided to implement it. Now at the bottom of the brew steps you can choose to set reminders for the different events (Transfer to secondary, bottle, drink) on your calendar and set an alarm. This is useful as sometimes we forget about a batch while its stashed away in a fermenter (or closet).

Hope you enjoy and the update should be up and available as soon as google updates it.

On another note, Brad from beersmith has released his own android/apple app for beerSmith. He is charging 3.99 if i remember right. Im still going to work on my app and continue to provide support for it as well as release updates. Brad has expressed that he will not help me with the BeerSmith Cloud integration and supply the information needed, so if you must have that versus dropbox (and google drive soon) then I recommend supporting him as he has done wonderful work with beerSmith and deserves all the support. My app will stay free with ads and be available as an alternative.

Ok guys, I have been away for awhile on the forum, as I have been in Afghanistan and flying non stop so havent had much time to do much and the internet here isnt the greatest (i get an average of 128KB/sec down which makes me cry sometimes).

But I finally got around to opening up eclipse and doing some programming and have an update to the app for you. Not too much added but 2 new features that are pretty helpful.

1. Ability to move the install of the app from the phone storage to an SD Card, this should have been like that from the start since its a super easy fix. Just never thought about it until it was requested by a user.

2. While discussing the app with one of my friends here with me he randomly said a feature that I thought would be very useful and decided to implement it. Now at the bottom of the brew steps you can choose to set reminders for the different events (Transfer to secondary, bottle, drink) on your calendar and set an alarm. This is useful as sometimes we forget about a batch while its stashed away in a fermenter (or closet).

Hope you enjoy and the update should be up and available as soon as google updates it.

On another note, Brad from beersmith has released his own android/apple app for beerSmith. He is charging 3.99 if i remember right. Im still going to work on my app and continue to provide support for it as well as release updates. Brad has expressed that he will not help me with the BeerSmith Cloud integration and supply the information needed, so if you must have that versus dropbox (and google drive soon) then I recommend supporting him as he has done wonderful work with beerSmith and deserves all the support. My app will stay free with ads and be available as an alternative.

stay safe over there... as far as Beersmith version.. I have over 10gb of dropbox space... for free. to use the BSmith cloud I'd have to pay... then pay to use his app? I'm all for buying Beersmith to use on the PC, but not for the phone. that should be included with the PC app. Brad is a great guy and I know he's trying to make a living however, times are tough for everyone..

Thank YOU for making this app and keeping it free. (it does everything the Bsmith lite app does except cloud)

Thanks Mystic, I appreciate your support, let me know what you think of the new reminders feature.

just wanted to let you know, I have it all loaded up on the playbook and it seems to be running fine. I will play around with in today when I get a chance.

Just update the app with some changes. The timers have been annoying me for the phone version, so I decided to change how it works. Now it only shows one timer at a time and you can switch between the two.

Also added a new setting so you can choose the alert sound for the app.

Lastly the price has changed to 2.99 for ad removal (and repeat donations)

So hows everyone enjoying the new timer layout and the updates. Hope its working good for everyone

I came across and tried brewaide yesterday for the first time, it was also during my first all grain batch.

I really liked it despite a few minor quibbles. I'll go into those shortly but I will say I liked it enough that I'll be buying it next time I use it. It's decent and I like what it does but IMHO as a consumer it still needs a little work:

-My first issue was that I opened a BSMX file with it, and noticed that I made a couple minor errors with the recipe. "No problem" I said to myself, "I'll just go edit the recipe in beersmith and then resave it to the drop box folder". I made the changes, and then saved over the original file using the same file name as the one with the errors. Brewaide continually overwrote the new file with the old incorrect values (despite reopening the recipe in brewaide after I changed it). I had to resave the BSMX file to a different filename before it opened the correct values.

-The mash/brew timer switching hot button is not obvious. It took me MUCH longer than it should have to figure it out. I don't think the underlying idea (one button switching between the two) is bad, but higher contrast colors, or a button redesign is necessary IMHO

-The brew timer reset on me towards the end of my boil. All through out the boil/mash the app would restart and the timer would pick up where it ought to be. However towards the end of the boil the timer reset to the one hour mark despite knowing I had ~5 minutes left. I guesstimated how much time I had left and called it good. I wish I could give you more info on what happened here with this bug, but I don't know, I'm sorry.

I hope my post doesn't come across as bagging on the app, it's very good overall and does what it says on the tin. I'll be buying it next time I fire it up, I just hope that the development is still ongoing on this app. :)

Thanks for the comments and the app is still (and will be for awhile) in development.

-Ill look into the rewriting, I had a similar problem when I was first developing the app and thought I fixed out all the bugs with it. Probably what is happening is its opening the cached version it creates so you think its rewriting over it. Then when you exit the app. It actually does reopen it. Ill look into it and see what I can do.

-I wasnt fully happy with the mash/boil switch button either, unfortunately currently I stuck in afghanistan deployed and only have my laptop to do work and dont have the required resources to do graphics or make it better. I figured it would do until I can either figure out a way to change it on my laptop. Or get home in january

-I have heard from a couple people about the timer issue and have several times worked on trying to reproduce the problem. Unfortunately it isnt an error that is registered so I have nothing to go on. Neither can I get it to reproduce on my devices. It is still on my list of things to trouble shoot and hopefully fix. As a preventive technique for you though trying to limit the amount of times you go to the home page and back into the app should help avoid it. Somewhere in the pulling back up multiple times it gets confused (not sure how) typically though even though the display says an hour it is still running in the background and will still alert on time.

Thank you for purchasing and your support, every little bit helps with the time I have put into this. And glad you like. I am always open to bug reports and suggestions that are constructive (some people tend to word their comments poorly but you did not) and working to make the best possible app. Just ask for everyone to realize Im not a professional app maker and doing this in my free time.

Enjoy and make some good beer

Update going up today not a lot of changes but a couple good ones

-Fixed the link between dropbox and the app so that the dropbox takes priority and doesnt allow updating unless the two versions match

-Fixed the timer switch button so to be more obvious and user friendly (let me know if its better)

I don't get it.

I understand one timer at a time, but how do I switch between them. The screen is big enough for both.

For me, I can see the Mash timer, but the button is half cutoff. No boil timer.

If it magically appears after the mash is zero, great. But if the program resets, i don't have time to run one then the other.

I don't get it.

I understand one timer at a time, but how do I switch between them. The screen is big enough for both.

For me, I can see the Mash timer, but the button is half cutoff. No boil timer.

If it magically appears after the mash is zero, great. But if the program resets, i don't have time to run one then the other.

does yours not look like this? This is what is seen on my Samsung Epic 4G. running Android 2.3.6

snap20121102_145900.png
snap20121102_145856.png

Nope. For me, there is only start mash. No mash/boil bar. I'll try a reset on the phone, clear the cash, dust the cover and retry. I do like the look of yours though.

Cayuga said:
oh, and pay the guy a couple bucks to get those ads off of there! It costs less than 2 ounces of hops and goes to better brewdays.

This, support the guy!

It's a solid app, good features, and the developer is both listening and responsive. It says a lot to me when a bug report is both taken seriously and addressed really quickly. :D

Thanks for the support, I like the comments and suggestions as Im a single guy doing this in my free time (mainly because I wanted a way to view my recipes on my tablet instead of running back and forth to my desktop and didnt want to wait an unknown time for the BeerSmith app). I will always try to address any problems/suggestions

Also the price for ad removal has gone down ($2.99), and if you want to continue to support some more the button stays there to donate again and all donations go to my new brew rig :D

Havent heard any complaints about it, but I am unable to test the ad removal (I will always be stuck with ads :( ) because I can buy my own app or make purchases. But if the ads dont remove for any reason let me know

But I still can't switch the timers. I even rubbed the phone and called it nice things. If I have to use paper tomorrow, I'll be pissed.

Any suggestions?

without a screen shot to know what exactly is going on cant really help. Need more details in order to trouble shoot. Screenshot would help the most, but phone type and android version would help also

On a different note... Could the parameter fields in the Refractometer Tool be expanded by one character? Two decimals is one short...

Cheers!

Found it. But I have to do a sideways screen to display the buttons. It looks like the previous screenshot, but not in an up/down fashion, I have to turn the phone. Nice thing, that's how I use it on brewday. Another piece of paper saved!

Edit. Looks like I have to turn it sideways to display the new look, then after selecting boil timer, I can turn it back north/south and see the options. But if I then choose mash timer, it's back to crap, until I turn it again.

Little quirky, but I'll survive.

As far as android version. IDK, it's a DroidX. I listen to music and brew beer with it.

In at least the refractometer calculator, the number fields are cut off on my Samsung Galaxy SIII (screenshot scaled to 50% to meet forum rules).

For the strike temp, it would be nice to be able to enter water/grain ratio and have it solve for water to add and water temp.

Screenshot.png

Works great on my 4.0.4 android phone, but on my 3.1 android tablet (galaxy tab 10.1) the colors don't seem to load right for the app (everything is grey) and I get a force close when I go to the folder tab.

In at least the refractometer calculator, the number fields are cut off on my Samsung Galaxy SIII (screenshot scaled to 50% to meet forum rules).

For the strike temp, it would be nice to be able to enter water/grain ratio and have it solve for water to add and water temp.

Same issue on my s III with any number fields in the tool section involving > 3 chars.

Looks like the default font on those devices are slightly bigger than my device. Ill look into it and see about making the input box bigger.

Works great on my 4.0.4 android phone, but on my 3.1 android tablet (galaxy tab 10.1) the colors don't seem to load right for the app (everything is grey) and I get a force close when I go to the folder tab.

Thats weird im testing everything on a galaxy tab 10.1 Try going to your settings and set the folder location and see if that helps with the crash

So I need some help from one of you more artistically inclined users. I want to update the User Interface with something a little nicer, as the majority of the negative reviews relate to the Interface. I am not artistically inclined. So was wondering if one of you wanted to help me out.

Back