Rice Hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I've read you can't use too many rice hulls, but I've determined that that isn't true. I just tasted my Hefeweizen which tasted like stale rice cakes. Had to dump the entire thing as it was among the most disgusting things I've ever brewed.

So I'm trying to determine now how many rice hulls are good. I'm brewing a tripel next with all Pilsener malts (and a hint of carabelge). I like rice hulls because they prevent a stuck sparge. But how many are safe to use? Or do I just forgo them?

How much rice hulls did you use? what was the rest of the grain bill?

I usually use between 1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls in beers with wheat, oats or maize. The sticky adjuncts usually amount to 1.5 to 3 lbs in a 12 to 15 lb grain bill. I have never tasted the rice.

How much are you using? For a five gallon batch, you should be using about 1/2 a pound.

I usually eyeball it at a handful or two if my grain bill is more than 25% dehusked grain (rye, wheat,...)

I have a 55 pound bale of rice hulls. I will be rinsing them prior to "use" henceforth. Steeped a cup and the water is discolored.

Some will place some at the bottom of the mash tun as a filter bed, in addition to mixing them into the crush. I have had success doing that. How much room do you have left in your mash tun? I have mixed in 5 cups of dry rice hulls in a 6 gallon batch.

I consider myself a 50 year old brewing rooky, for at least another 5 years.

When I've used them I always make sure to rinse them. I basically add them to my mash tun and fill with hot water and drain. I do that twice then fill with my preheat water, so essentially they get rinsed three times.

That said, I only ever need to use rice hulls when I do my pumpkin ale. I make tons of hefeweizens and also belgian wits and I never use rice hulls and never get a stuck runoff/sparge.

Rev.

How much rice hulls did you use? what was the rest of the grain bill?

I usually use between 1/2 to 1 lb rice hulls in beers with wheat, oats or maize. The sticky adjuncts usually amount to 1.5 to 3 lbs in a 12 to 15 lb grain bill. I have never tasted the rice.

Pretty much the same here: 1/2 LB on every batch (5 gal) and between 3/4 and 1 LB on a batch that has cereal grains

I soak them in warm water in a fine mesh kitchen strainer and rinse them about 2-3 times. Using the strainer washes off the dirt and filters out those overly crushed hulls. I've never noticed any flavor contribution from them.

I've read you can't use too many rice hulls, but I've determined that that isn't true. I just tasted my Hefeweizen which tasted like stale rice cakes. Had to dump the entire thing as it was among the most disgusting things I've ever brewed.

Did you rinse them thoroughly before use? I agree with the 1/2lb per 5 gal batch mentioned above.

Back