Pouring beer into secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?

Oxidation is supposed to give off flavors, especially with long-term storage. I'll drive over from Durham and help you make sure the storage is more short-term. ;)

you could get a cardboard like off flavor that can happen from oxygenation. use a siphon in the future for transferring!

It may cause some oxidation in the finished beer but that usually takes time before it's really noticeable.

Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?
Depends, if its a barleywine its ruined, if its a mild or pale ale its fine. What you did was reduce its shelf life. So if its not a IIPA or Imperial stout that requires months to mature, you're fine. +1 on the siphon, just start it correctly.

Back